Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Opinion on deer age based on horns? >

Opinion on deer age based on horns?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Opinion on deer age based on horns?

Old 12-09-2008, 07:10 AM
Spike

Default Opinion on deer age based on horns?

Killed this buck in VA. Aged at 2.5 years old. Hard to belive this buck could have grown these antlers in only his second year. Had an outside spread of 22 inches and close to 10 inch G2's. There are some great genetics on the land I hunt but 2.5 years old. What do ya'll think? By the way he dressed out at about 92 lbs.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Opinion on deer age based on horns?

I have pictures from my trail camera of bucks in my area of 2 1/2 year old buck that are just as big or bigger. Although I am from Ohio and not sure about difference in growth rates in antler size between different geographic regions. Also in the face he appears to be a 2 1/2 year old. just my 2 cents
Old 12-09-2008, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt VA, and thats not that uncommon. i have shot a couple deer that were only 2.5. and carried some impressive head gear. Alot of people think just because he is bigger he has to be 3.5 or 4.5. But VA has great genetics if there allowed to grow.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:00 AM
Spike

Crenshaw, where do you hunt in VA?
Old 12-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, he is a young deer, just been eating right...
Old 12-09-2008, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

While I agree that gentics is important, age and availablity to quality food are more important to good antler growth. In their early years, most of the nutrition a deer takes in goes towards development of their body before their antlers. What confuses me is that the deer in the pic obviously had quality food to grow that rack, but why only 92 lbs. I don't think that you would even be able to find a deer in Indiana that had the smallest of racks that would not go 110 to 120. Most of our button bucks go 100+.

Genes alone don't grow quality antlers. Those genes need fed. I'd be concerned about the fact that that deer did not weigh anymore then he did.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:15 AM
Typical Buck

Northern VA, Loudoun, Prince William, Fairfax, and Fauquier
Old 12-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

he could honestly be 2 1/2 years old. just check out the teeth on that bad boy. hes a good one
Old 12-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

A few years back, I shot a nice 8 pointer that dressed at 178 pounds. When I registered him, there was a biologist from UNH that was working with the NH F&G. He asked if I was going to have it mounted and when I said no, he asked to check the age by extracting a tooth. I said OK and he told me that buck was only 1 1/2 yrs. old. I questioned his age but the biologist told me it was absolutely true and this 8 pointer was 1 1/2. I was still very suprised but was convinced he knew what he was talking about and he even showed me the extracted tooth and why he could age it so accurately.

He finally told me I made one mistake. He said I should have shot him next year.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Fork Horn

horns huh? all I see are antlers.

Cervidae: Most deer have antlers, which are not true horns. When fully developed antlers are dead bone without a horn or skin covering; they are borne only by adults (usually males) and are shed and regrown each year.

anyways...horns are completely different than antlers...just FYI

I say the deer is 2.5 years old.

Quick Reply: Opinion on deer age based on horns?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.