HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Ohio buck (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/277571-ohio-buck.html)

LeftyBuckmaster 12-09-2008 02:18 AM

Ohio buck

Well this past Saturday I finally harvested my my second ever buck. I was unsuccessful during bow season mainly due to lack of time from college work. But I finally got out this past weekend for Ohio's gun season. Would have posted sooner but just got the pictures off the camera today. Not the biggest buck and he is young but due to hunting pressure in my area deer rarely see 3 1/2 years let alone 2 1/2 I would have let him go but the group that was pushing the deer would have shot him anyway so I decided to take him. Due to the high winds, 15-20 degree temps, and heavy hunting pressure all week the deer were just not moving and after sitting Friday evening and Saturday morning I met up with some other guys that hunt the woods I have permission for and set up a deer drive. Now these woods are not pressured as heavily as other woods around this tract because people just seem to stay out. So we knew there were deer in the woods they just wouldn't come out because they had bee pushed out of other surrounding woods. I was at the base of a tree waiting for the group to push out the woods then here they come 3 deer come at me almost full bore. Saw the first no horns the second had horns and didn't take my eyes off him after i confirmed he was a buck to look at the other deer. He ran straight off to the side offered slightly quartering toward shot at less than 50 yards lead him and pulled the trigger. I knew I had hit him he was limping but proceeded to run off into the woods with the others. Went to where I shot him and saw tracks but no blood. My buddy and I followed the tracks for a little and still no blood. Then we thought oh crap maybe I was just seeing things. So we pushed through the woods. Once we got to the end of the woods out in the field the guy that ran the middle followed 2 sets of tracks. I said to him where did the 3rd deer go then i look over to where the other guy was going to come out and here comes the buck. I pulled my gun up pulled the trigger saw the skin move when the slug hit him in the ribs at close to 130 yards. He nose dived down thought he was done. Nope he proceeded to get back up at this time I'm astounded he is still alive because I have placed two deadly shots at him. He gets up and both my friend and I hit him he goes down. This time he stayed down but had to put one more shot in him to put him down. Once we butchered the deer we found that the Hornady SST slugs I was shooting failed on the first shot I made. The first shot hit right in the front shoulder but failed and just broke the bone and did not penetrate any further. Had the slug stayed together and followed the path the slug would have went right into the lungs and there would have been no problems. Well long story but here's some pics

LeftyBuckmaster 12-09-2008 02:19 AM

RE: Ohio buck

another pic

srwshooter 12-09-2008 04:58 AM

thats great!!! good job from a fellow lefty.

Western MA Hunter 12-09-2008 05:51 AM

Congrats... nice palmation...

wis_rifle_hunter 12-09-2008 08:37 AM

nice buck. congrats

Full Blown Rut 12-09-2008 08:48 AM

grats

TheMiz54 12-09-2008 10:29 AM

nice job