Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 ho to improve my hunting land? >

ho to improve my hunting land?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ho to improve my hunting land?

Old 12-09-2008, 09:02 AM

Default RE: ho to improve my hunting land?

Managing property for hunting is my passion and I think you can enjoy a lot of satisfaction from doing it right over time. The size of this tract does limit some of what you can do, but depending upon what is around it, I think your efforts should be rewarded.
First of all, the cheapest and probably most effective management tool at your disposal is fire. Fire, of course, is a natural occurrence and Mother Nature welcomes it when it is used properly. You'll eliminate years of ground cover that is likely suffocating the natural food sources that would otherwise be common absent the Smokey Bear mentality that became prevalent over recent generations.
By utilizing a controlled burn in the early spring, you'll allow grasses and other food sources to flourish, increasing the desirability of the property to virtually every game species. You will also gain control of scrub oaks and hardwoods, while simultaneously reducing the risk of a truly damaging summer fire by largely eliminating the accumulated fuel on the ground.
Next, depending on how the property has been managed to date, I'd open it up a bit. A combination of both natural and managed food plots will make the place a highly desirable grocery store for area deer, clearly increasing the carrying capacity of the property. Deer, as you know, love edges; edges of fields, edges between young and old timber, and edges along creeks and rivers. Most states now have more deer than when Columbus discovered America. This is because of the edges and fields that exist today that didn't then. Create some if they aren't there.
Next, cut shooting lanes. Think about a wagon wheel when you do. Plant food plots either in the lanes or separately. Make the plots irregular in shape and about 3-5 acres in size. Don't get them too close to each other and likely have about 3 of them on this place. It will take you 2-3 years to get them right with the proper soil testing as you get the PH and minerals levels where they need to be. I wouldn't try to worry too much about summer plots (high protein plots such as iron clay peas) as trophy management will be difficult on your own unless everything around the property isn't hunted or already enjoys QDM principles. As a result, I'd focus on crimson clover planted in early September and corn if you have access to the equipment and resources.
Consistent and focused management efforts can pay big dividends to a sportsman. Every big deer you shoot, every beautiful sunset you enjoy, every little fawn you spot in the early summer,and every day you enjoy wandering around the place throughout the years should beviewed as a blessing and a return on your work and investment.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

check out qdma.com lots of great ideas and great magazine
Old 12-09-2008, 12:14 PM
BDC
Fork Horn

"ho to improve hunting land"
When you are done with her, send her my way.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BDC

"ho to improve hunting land"
When you are done with her, send her my way.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

You've gotten a lot of good advice, but its tough if your not a farmer!
I've asked the same questions before, but if you don't own a tractor and not sure about starting a forest fire on your land what do you do? I have also tried many minerals without much luck, I don't think they are as effective up here with so many bedrock outcroppings and road salt everywhere.
Sorry, just talked a lot but said nothing helpful!
Old 12-10-2008, 05:41 PM

all the advice you guys gaves sounds great and ill try my best to put it to good use. i have a few ?'S[/align]1) as i said there is only 1 field on my property, so would clovers, oats, and wheat still produce in food plots i plant in the woulds? if not what are? keep in mind that my property is far away so i need a very minimal maitnence crop.[/align]2) as far as mineral spots what mineral would you suggest? and how often do you replenish it?[/align]3) with cover how big of an area should it be? and how thick? do i just cut down a few trees and place them together and add brush and other vegitation?[/align]
Old 12-15-2008, 07:43 PM

the mineral thing is dependent on where your at, here in the midwest some states have outlawed mineral licks and that sort of stuff because of cwd...but safe cover and food are KEY
Old 12-16-2008, 08:22 AM

with cover, thickening the woods is hard, if its floodground it might be impossible with the water but i hear that people just top some trees and let them fall where they please...but with only one field thats fine but yes clover and turnips and oats would work well, but oince again i dont know what kind of soil, or what region your in, so im freeballing this at u right now, consult somebody at ur local dnr or maybe the feed/seed store they usually have som good stuff for food plots
Old 12-16-2008, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

get a feeder (if legal) put it about 30 feet from the thickest nastiest place on the property, turn it on. leave the area for a day or so, sit 50 to 60 yards away. or make a watering hole.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

Food plots are in no way shape or form more important than cover.....that is laughable! New age hunting knowledge at its finest! Do I agree that they are attractive? Yes. But, they aren't near as important as cover.

Quick Reply: ho to improve my hunting land?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.