Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 ho to improve my hunting land? >

ho to improve my hunting land?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

ho to improve my hunting land?

Old 12-07-2008, 06:46 PM

Default ho to improve my hunting land?

after 2 seasons me and my friends have not had the oppurtunity to harvest any deer. there are singsof deer but we just arn't seeing any.i was just curious if there is anything me or my friends could do to increase deer activity on our land? what would you guys do?
Old 12-07-2008, 06:55 PM

Default RE: ho to improve my hunting land?

what kind of sign are you seeing?

Two that pop in my head right off the bat is

keep the pressure to a minimum
food plots
Old 12-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah probably food plots and trail cams to help scout better. u bowhunt?
Old 12-07-2008, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Food plots, the best thing to get deer to come to your property. IMO
Old 12-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

How much land are we talking about?

I think the number one thing you can do to keep deer around and have big bucks is to have a safe zone. Im talking about putting aside the thickest place you have or can make and never set foot in it ever....unless its to go after a deer that you shot. The problem most farms have is they want to hunt every place on it. Trust me....make a safe zone and you will see a big difference. If you can have food plots that would be a big plus also.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

How big is the property? I would also have to agree that food plots would be a good investment as far as hunting goes. And I'm pretty sure you can claim a tax exemption or break for agricultural reasons too. If it were my land I would also create a few mineral sites spread throughout the property.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

Cover is more important than foodplots, and way more overlooked. Do they have some really nasty stuff to hide in? Foodplots are important, but that's the icing, not the cake.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hossdaniels

Cover is more important than foodplots, and way more overlooked. Do they have some really nasty stuff to hide in? Foodplots are important, but that's the icing, not the cake.
Yeah, but if there's no food, there's not going to be any deer to hide in the nasty stuff.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cover, cover and more cover. If you're seeing deer sign and not the deer, that probably means the deer are using your land but probably at night. They are moving somewhere else during the day to bed up and they love thick cover. If you have some woodland try taking an area and dropping an area of trees and let at least the tops lay where they fall. It won't take long and the underbrush will take over and you won't be able to walk or seethru there. That will not onlyadd cover but also browse in thick cover. Depending on how large of an area you have then add food plots and a water source to keep the deer from needing to leave for their necessities. But if I could only do one thing I would add thick cover!!
Old 12-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

Deer are in the cover during the daylight hours and they can, and will, travel after dark for food. I agree food plots are nice, but cover is more important to get a chance at a good buck in daylight hours.

Quick Reply: ho to improve my hunting land?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.