Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whitetail land

Old 12-06-2008, 03:40 PM

Default Whitetail land

so I was wanting to buy a little land to do some whitetail deer hunting (10-20 acres) because I'm tired of hunting on relatives property, but I don't want to have crops on my land because I don't farm, could I pay someone to farm the land for me? If I don't have crops then will deer still be attracted to my land? And instead of crops is there something I could spread out on my land for deer to eat?
Old 12-06-2008, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whitetail land

You would be better off buying wooded land on a parcel that size. If you can't though you can probably get one of the local farmers to rent the land from you to plant crops.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

I would think you would be able to lease out any ag land you purchase which would help out financially and it would help hold some deer on your land as well. If there are no crops on the land you could make some food plots yourself.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

You could plant some clover instead of having crop.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

You dont need crops or open land if the property is well located.I own one 19 acre tract that is entirely wooded. It has plenty of deer on it because they use it as a travel route and also as a bedding area.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:54 PM

should i plant the full 10 acres with clover and does it need any care like cutting it or do i just let it grow? thanks!
Old 12-07-2008, 05:52 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: blazehunter09

should i plant the full 10 acres with clover and does it need any care like cutting it or do i just let it grow? thanks!
clover is usually a wild plant, so no, you will not have to tend it.

however, cultivated land will be more expensive than pasture land. concider pasture land.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:05 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

You dont need crops or open land if the property is well located.I own one 19 acre tract that is entirely wooded. It has plenty of deer on it because they use it as a travel route and also as a bedding area.
yes,i agree. i have a 18acre track that in 3 week i saw 112 deer out of my treestand. it have 3 thickets that form a triangle with about 200yds of open timber between them. when the rut starts the bucks run does from one thicket to the other. i let everyone else on other property run them to me,i just enter and exit as quitly and as scent free as i can. the deer soon start to feel safe on my 18acres. and thats a big mistake for them.....
Old 12-07-2008, 06:23 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

I agree. I own ten acreswhich Ilive on, the land is bordered by other wooded tracts, one of which is a large deer bedding area that is unlikely to ever be developed further than it's current state. All of the tracts have abundant natural mast including oaks,fallow pasture,andhoneysuckle, and are surrounded by parcels currently in agricultural production.

Location, location, location...