Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Rut: Believe it, or Not?

Old 12-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Spike

Default The Rut: Believe it, or Not?

How many of you believe in thetheory that the Moon triggers the Rut?

For those of you who aren't familiar with what I am talking about. The Rut kicks off when the 2nd full moon after the fall equinox. (in theory)

Do you think it is myth, or fact?
Old 12-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The Rut: Believe it, or Not?

I'm not sure what to believe when it comes to the moon and hunting lol. I've had great days when "experts" said it'd suck, and I've had horrible days when they said it'd be great. And vice versa
Old 12-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen a lot of info on it and I'm not sold on it. I have been hunting 30+ years and the rut seems to time out the same every year. I think the way to test it would be to compare conception dates against the full moon info for many years and see if there is a pattern.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

To me the rut start when I see them chasing the doe and start fighting with other bucks!! The moon does do some freaky things though!
Old 12-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe it.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nope, our rut starts about the second week in January and they will chase does and scrape till later March. I don't see how that would add up to the "moon theory".
Old 12-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

i believe its a fact, where do you guys look at for the best hunting times? (moon charts)
Old 12-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely believe it, read Hunting Whitetails by Moon by Charlie Alsheimer or something else along these lines and you'll believe it to once you hear about his 15000 data points and 20-year on going study
Old 12-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I honestly don't believe that the moon has anything to do with my hunting. Like Rory, I've had good days when they say that I wont see deer.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 1shotkill1993

I honestly don't believe that the moon has anything to do with my hunting. Like Rory, I've had good days when they say that I wont see deer.
Obviously when an 'expert' forecasts a good day it does not mean that every hunter in the woods is going to tag a monster buck, and when they predict a lull that doesnt mean all big bucks hole up.

The three phases of the rut, seek, chase, and breed, all over lap one another and that is where the biggest hurdle comes into play for 'non-believers'. When you look at Alsheimer and Laroche's study, however, it is hard to argue with scientific data.

Obviously, I am a believer. In fact the past two years, since I really began studying Alsheimer's research and applying it to my hunting, I have since changed my rut strategies and my success has increased two-fold.

Why? Because I knew what phasethe bucks were predominatly in (after paying attention to the moon), I knew how they would be moving and where and I knew what day their testosterone would peak and they simply would not be able resist the smell of not just an estrous doe, but any doe.

I will say this, however, that this year, with the moon falling later than usual[&:]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.