HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   please help me mount my deer antlers. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/276926-please-help-me-mount-my-deer-antlers.html)

MISwampDog 12-05-2008 12:20 AM

please help me mount my deer antlers.

I have tried this before and have not gotten any response. i have 12 sets of antlers that i need to put up on the wall. does anyone out there have a way for me to put the things on a plaque?

basically i was thinking along the lines of using buying the manufactured taxidermyforms, cementing the horns in place, than wrapping the form in leather. once that is all done putting it on a plaque. i am just not sure how to do it.

if anyone has any plans (pictures would help) i would appreciate it. thanks.

excalibur43 12-05-2008 01:32 AM

RE: please help me mount my deer antlers.

Check out Van Dykes Taxidermy website. They have a "How To" section. You may also check " Taxidermy Net".

wis_bow_huntr 12-05-2008 05:30 AM

Just go get the mounting plaque kits, theyre relatively cheap.

DannyD 12-05-2008 09:56 AM

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

X2..
These are easy to use

wis_rifle_hunter 12-05-2008 03:14 PM

ORIGINAL: wis_bow_huntr

X3
you can pick them up at any sporting goods store and wal-mart for a decent price and they look good

farm hunter 12-05-2008 10:20 PM

I use Felt from the fabric store, Super glue, a cordless drill and a hacksaw to shape the skull plate.

It takes a few tries - but its not hard to learn how to cut the fabric to fit.
I've done hundreds this way fro friends & family.

FH

terbzz 12-06-2008 12:33 PM

wow..thats a lot of mounts for 1 wall

piney 12-06-2008 01:32 PM

Farm hunter i like your custom cap mounts. How are you securing the skull plate to the wood?

farm hunter 12-09-2008 09:10 PM

Securing them to the wood is the hardest part - and took some time and effort to master.

What I do is:

1. drill two 1/16" or 3/32" holes in the Back side of the skull - about 3/4" deep - below the antlers

2. Then I cut the heads off two nails - and drop them in the holes- so the sharp ends stick out about 1/4". Then I hold the nails in so that they dont fall out.

3. I center the antlers on the prepared board - and firmly PRESS the skull on to the board. The Nails leave 2 impressions of exactly where to drill through the board to line up the holes.

4. Then I use sheetrock screws of the proper length - and recess them in backside of the board. If I use the right length screws - I can screw them in really tight, and they are flush with the back of the board.

Thats it - I can do them pretty quick now after 20 years,

FH

piney 12-10-2008 04:28 AM

Thank you