Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Eating road kill! *GASP*

Old 12-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Eating road kill! *GASP*

I would eat it if it was fresh I guess.........At first seeing the title "Eating road kill! *GASP*" I was thinking omg road kill possums? squirells? all that stuff but im relieved to see road kill "deer" Im sorry But i would not eat anything besides large game that was killed on the road
Old 12-05-2008, 04:40 PM
Fork Horn

i live in va to and ive eaten a deer that got hit it all depends on the damage for me
Old 12-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know that I would eat it . . .depending on the damage tho. I've never eaten one but once when I was coming home from an unsucessful early season hunt I had to slow down to keep from running over a couple of does and their yearlings. One doe almost stopped soon enough for me to miss her but my bumper clipped her head. I'm thinking that the meat would'nt be hurt at all so I throw her in the camper.
I get to the house, open the camper and she's sitting there all confused looking. I drag her out and in a few minutes she's up and running. I watched her run around the place and she finally hit the woods.LOL . . . .So, I know I would eat a road kill deer.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:50 PM

I can't believe the number that say they would never eat it. I ate one that I hit once. Nothing wrong with it at all.Actually it was a yearling buck (a forkhorn) that hit me. Barreled into the passenger side door on my pick up truck while I was driving down the interstate. Broke its neck, but I did run over one rear leg with the back tire. All we lost was that one rear quarter, but the rest of the meat was fine. I had to call the sheriff deputy out to give me a permit and then asked him to help me load it into the bed of the truck. He said I was the first woman driver who killed a deerthat wasn't crying when he got to the call. I told him I was more mad that this deer was going to cost me my $250 deductable on my insurance. LOL!

Gosh, I'm a city girl turned country girl well into my adult years and I'm not squeemish about eating roadkill. Just surprised to find that manywho areon a deer hunting forum. LOL!
Old 12-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ive done it where i have seen it hit and not badly beat up . The meat was fine . A lot of people do it around here
Old 12-05-2008, 06:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Leafrivermac

I know that I would eat it . . .depending on the damage tho. I've never eaten one but once when I was coming home from an unsucessful early season hunt I had to slow down to keep from running over a couple of does and their yearlings. One doe almost stopped soon enough for me to miss her but my bumper clipped her head. I'm thinking that the meat would'nt be hurt at all so I throw her in the camper.
I get to the house, open the camper and she's sitting there all confused looking. I drag her out and in a few minutes she's up and running. I watched her run around the place and she finally hit the woods.LOL . . . .So, I know I would eat a road kill deer.
hahaha great story leaf, I can just see that happening! so I guess she was just knocked out when you loaded her up? heheh what a suprise opening the camper and see her sitting there..bet she was as suprised as you were lol
Old 12-05-2008, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

I have. My uncle was on his way to work and about a 6 point jumped out in front of his truck.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Nubby_Stalker

OMG...you people and " omg, its road kill...ewwww..." yet you can let a shot deer lay oernight and then hang it for a week and say "mmmm...good eatin' "

wtf is the difference??

Ya'll would never make it without those stores that have food on the shelves......lol
You're right. I'm sure that's how Indians made it without grocery stores, roadkill
Old 12-05-2008, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

fresh road kill is ok to eat. people act like girly girls about it lol. Ive done it. Doesnt bother me a bit!
Old 12-06-2008, 12:09 AM
Typical Buck

If I ever hit a deer and was on my way home I would most definitely pick it up for food at the least you could throw it out back for coyote bait. In Ohio though you have to get a roadkill permit

Quick Reply: Eating road kill! *GASP*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.