Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Eating road kill! *GASP*

Old 12-04-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Eating road kill! *GASP*

I got a big 9 point a few years back the guy in front om me hit. In ohio and most places you need a salvage tag from the police. Cut away the bruised stuff and the rest is fine. Tasted good.

If you said you wouldn't I can't undersatnd why not. I'm not talking a deer that is torn up real bad but sometimes they aren't in bad shape.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks everyone... I really hope I did not spark a heated debate. "to each his own"
I have done it twice and you are right, you will undoubtedly have to discard some bashed up meat, but I have yet to have to discard the backstraps
Both times it was young Kansas does, and MAN they were tasty!

Hope everyone gets their deer this year!

BDB
Old 12-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Why not? And if it was a 150 class buck I might mount the head............
Old 12-04-2008, 09:32 PM

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Why not? And if it was a 150 class buck I might mount the head............
haha

the head and the bumper...or maybe just a full bumper mount!

Old 12-04-2008, 09:34 PM

ORIGINAL: BIG DONNIE BRASCO

Thanks everyone... I really hope I did not spark a heated debate. "to each his own"
I have done it twice and you are right, you will undoubtedly have to discard some bashed up meat, but I have yet to have to discard the backstraps
Both times it was young Kansas does, and MAN they were tasty!

Hope everyone gets their deer this year!

BDB
good for you man... at least it got put to good use and not just discarded in a field or in a dump somewhere...gotta love them backstraps!!
Old 12-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Wis. we can get them tagged and we can take them ....... whole. We can't gut them on the spot. My brother picked one up in julyand brought it to me. I have a very strong stomach. I thought I was going to puke when I gutted it. It was all busted up. The meat was so blood shot everywhere. I cleaned the meat and it was ok but I told him to never bring me another one.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:24 PM
Fork Horn

in 42 years I have never "gutted" a deer, I just peel em and carve out the meat. (I don't hang and age it)
this is from the last deer I cleaned after a neighbor clipped it with his truck. One backstrap gone, and NO blood or guts!

Old 12-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Fork Horn

I've eaten a few. Meat is meat long as its fresh
Old 12-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its illegal to pick up a road kill here, but I have done it. If I've seen the animal hit and if its any good, its going in the truck. The wolves and ravens use the roadway up here as a food source, and an encounter with a deer, moose or ect., is quite common here. I have seen as many as 14 road kill deer within a 10 mile stretch here and have locked my brakes a few times, but not in the winter, I'm not going to lock those brakes with frozen snow on the roads and ect., so the animal is going to be SOL. Some drivers flinch when an animal comes out in there path and over react and thery'll wrecked. But if I see the animal hit, you can bet those loins are going to be dinner if there in good condition.

Bobby
Old 12-05-2008, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Funny you shoudl ask this. I picked up a fresh road kill buck yesterday on my way home from work, Called the Clark County Sherifs dept and told them I was picking it up since the driver of the other vehicle didnt want it. Took it to town, got it registered as a road kill, took it to the farm and cleaned it out and hung it up. In Wi. You can pick up road kill as long as you notify the local authorities and they will tell you where to register it, You can not clean the deer on the spot. It has to be registered first in WI. This way the register can prove it was a road kill and not shot illegally.

Quick Reply: Eating road kill! *GASP*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.