Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tired of Deer Hunting?

Old 12-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default Tired of Deer Hunting?

I'm concerned something is wrong with me. I eat, sleep, and breath hunting 365 days a year. Predators, Turkey, Upland Birds, Deer and other big game when possible. I bow hunt, muzzleload, and rifle hunt.As a younger hunter I was inexperienced. With limited sightings Ishot every deer I saw (that was legal). As I've become more experienced, my sightings have increased and I started lettingdeer walk and was taking an average offour a year (which fills thefreezer). This year I've seen at least 30 deer and have shot five.

Last night, I brought my stand and pack to the truck, then went back to retrieve my deer. As I was loading him into the truck, I said to my self "I'm done for the season" (we still a have till January 1st). I'm just tired of all the work of carrying stuff into the woods, dragging everything out, cleaning the deer out, butchering it. I don't find it as rewarding as I used to. I told my self - next year, I'm going to take a doe for thefreezer then hunt horns. I still get very excitedwhen I shoot a decent buck. My largest buck isonly an 8pt in the low 100's. So my plan moving forward it to only shoot bucks bigger than whats currently on the wall.

I can't believe I'm thinking this way. Writing this post almost feels criminal. Anyone else every feel this way? Hopefully its just a phase, or maybe I'm getting old, or just out of shape.

Maybe I need a shrink!
Old 12-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tired of Deer Hunting?

Tired??

Heck no.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Set some goals for the next season...that will help you wait it out and shoot bigger deer.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

i'm thinking that a shrink might help

Old 12-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

how could you be tired of deer hunting? i could never be tired of hunting ever. maybe a shrink could help you
Old 12-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot 6 or 7 a year and feel like you sometimes too.. But I'm never tired of the woods and of the memory of the kill. If you have too much venison and you still want to take animals...maybe give them to people that need venison.

Have fun!
Old 12-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

My situation is a lot like yours. I've killed 5 this year and I'm out of tags! 3 would be more than enough to feed us through the year. So, I am planning to do some more serious horn hunting next season!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

A11en, I read your post 2 times and I still don't understand what you think is wrong. That after pounding the woods hard for a long time your tired? Or that your thinking about holding out for a bigger deer? If it's the first, well, welcome to the wonderful world of hunting and congrats to you for giving it all you got. If it's the second, well, welcome to the wonderful world of hunting. Eithor way any further advice will cost you a bottle of Canadian Windsor
Old 12-03-2008, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I would call the shrink up. Hunting isnt all about getting a deer. Its being out there enjoying nature. Nothing is better then seeing the sun rise and set. If you let deer walk its just fun to watch them. I have had deer bed within a stones throw of my stand.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:49 PM

Sounds like your missing the point! Deer hunting to me isnt so much about going out and killing a deer. It's about getting out in the woods with no one around and taking time to reflect on my life, things I have acomplished, enjoying the things god has blessedme with and taking the time to just get away from the stresses of everyday life and just relaxing for once. That is what is important to me.Don't get me wrongit is a bonus if I get a chance to take a deer but I consider it a blessing just to be able to see a deer while I am out there. Take some time and just think about your life sometimes and don't worry so much about going out and killing a bunch of deer!

Quick Reply: Tired of Deer Hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.