Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Decided on a .270...now what make? >

Decided on a .270...now what make?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Decided on a .270...now what make?

Old 12-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Decided on a .270...now what make?

Just make sure you put a good quality scope on whatever rifle you buy..Probably more important than the Rifle..My next Rifle will be a .270 Savage..
Old 12-03-2008, 06:29 PM

How about this NIB Rifles Inc. Stainless Strata in 280 Ackley Improved, Its listed over at Guns America for $2500. Somebody please buy this as it tempts me every time I see it.

BD

Old 12-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cannonw24

Ruger M77 MarkII I swear you will not be disappointed
i would have to agree with that statement. they are the best guns. all our guns are ruger m77 mark 2s. i love them
Old 12-03-2008, 07:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I bought my grandsons a Remington 700 camo/synthetic in .270 Sunday night. I got a Limbsaver recoil pad for it today and will probably take the Bushnell 4200 off of their .243 and put it on in place of the Remington scope. The 700's have been around a L - O - N - G time and are very dependable.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am a big ruger fan.....I would say M77...
Old 12-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gypsybill

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

ORIGINAL: malcolm31

I have some money saved up and I am willing to invest some money in order to get a quality gun.
Any recommendations?
I have some recommendations, but you need to be more specific on a dollar amount that you are willing to spend. I would personally stay away from Cooper for political reasons and Kimber for accuracy problems, but there are some really good gun companies out there if you are willing to drop a little extra coin.
I am interested in your recommendations. I did not know Kimber has accuracy problems. I thought they were supposed to be a well made, extremely accurate gun. What is the nature of the accuracy problems? I have a little extra coin.
I will make no bones about it. I like "high end" rifles and am currently shooting a couple of Blaser R-93 Professionals, but they are no where close to the price range that has been given. Last year, I hunted with and regrettably sold a Sauer 202 lightweight in 270. If you could find a good clean used one, it would be a really nice rifle and MIGHT be close to the price range. I have put links to a couple of Sakos, and I have a Sako 75 Finnlite in 6.5x55 and absolutely love it. I highly recommend the Sako 75 Finnlite. It has a better stock than the newer 85 model, but the action on the 85 is a little smoother.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=117315173
http://www.gunsamerica.com/935487486/Guns/Rifles/Sako-Rifles/75_Finnlight_270_wi.htm

I have only owned one Kimber, and it was "adequate" (1.5"-2" at 100 yards using factory ammo) accuracy-wise but not a tack driver. I have a friend that has owned several in various calibers, and in his words, "it is a crap shoot as to whether a Kimber will shoot or not". He had a couple that were SUPER accurate, but most were only barely acceptable. Our accuracy experiences may only be isolated instances, but between the two of us, we have owned a dozen Kimbers.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:48 PM

ORIGINAL: gypsybill

ORIGINAL: malcolm31

I have some money saved up and I am willing to invest some money in order to get a quality gun.
Any recommendations?
I have some recommendations, but you need to be more specific on a dollar amount that you are willing to spend. I would personally stay away from Cooper for political reasons and Kimber for accuracy problems, but there are some really good gun companies out there if you are willing to drop a little extra coin.
I am interested in your recommendations. I did not know Kimber has accuracy problems. I thought they were supposed to be a well made, extremely accurate gun. What is the nature of the accuracy problems? I have a little extra coin.
I will make no bones about it. I like "high end" rifles and am currently shooting a couple of Blaser R-93 Professionals, but they are no where close to the price range that has been given. Last year, I hunted with and regrettably sold a Sauer 202 lightweight in 270. If you could find a good clean used one, it would be a really nice rifle and MIGHT be close to the price range. I have put links to a couple of Sakos, and I have a Sako 75 Finnlite in 6.5x55 and absolutely love it. I highly recommend the Sako 75 Finnlite. It has a better stock than the newer 85 model, but the action on the 85 is a little smoother.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=117315173
http://www.gunsamerica.com/935487486/Guns/Rifles/Sako-Rifles/75_Finnlight_270_wi.htm

I have only owned one Kimber, and it was "adequate" (1.5"-2" at 100 yards using factory ammo) accuracy-wise but not a tack driver. I have a friend that has owned several in various calibers, and in his words, "it is a crap shoot as to whether a Kimber will shoot or not". He had a couple that were SUPER accurate, but most were only barely acceptable. Our accuracy experiences may only be isolated instances, but between the two of us, we have owned a dozen Kimbers.
Retriever, I am currently using a pre-Garcia Sako Forrester in .243 but I want something larger.My Sako is a tack driver, just a joy to shoot. I am thinking of moving up to either 7mm08 or 308. How do the old Sakos like mine compare with the newer models? I love the Sako action. I will go take a look at the links you provided. Thanks...
Old 12-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

Remington 700

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

I bought my grandsons a Remington 700 camo/synthetic in .270 Sunday night. I got a Limbsaver recoil pad for it today and will probably take the Bushnell 4200 off of their .243 and put it on in place of the Remington scope. The 700's have been around a L - O - N - G time and are very dependable.
These guys know what they are talking about. I bought one back in 1981 and gave $239.00, fitted it with a 3x9x40 Tasco scope sitting on see through mounts and I have shot 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards several times with factory ammo. I've hunted with it every year since and I've lost count of the deer that I've killed with it. I used my iron sights once to take the biggest buck I've ever taken because snow and ice had gotten in my scope. For my own use, I wouldn't own a high powered rifle that didn't have iron sights on it. I have no idea what one would cost now but I doubt they're over $500.00.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Spike

SAVAGE STEVENS .270 = My favorite gun ever made!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you confused now? I have a Browning WSM A-Bolt and a Ruger M77. Both are great guns, but theBrowning is my go to gun.

Quick Reply: Decided on a .270...now what make?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.