Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

IL Shotgun part II

Old 12-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Spike

Default IL Shotgun part II

A question for Illinois Shotgunners:

Thursday, Dec 4th thru Sunday, Dec 7th is the remaining portion of shotgun season.

Have you had better luck in the "FIRST" or "Second" season?
Old 12-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: IL Shotgun part II

In the past, I have always filled my buck tag during the first season. This year it will have to be in the second season. We didn't see any big bucks during the first season this year.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:44 PM

hell, i didnt see ANYTHING the first season...except for one deer on the last day and i shot it, i always have better luck second season becuase its usually much colder, and its usualy a month or so after the rut and the late cycling does bring in the marginally larger bucks

this past friday (december 5) my dad sent me a text message while i was at work saying he saw 26 deer, so when i got into his stand saturday morn, i saw 16, i like second season better, ESPECIALLY this year
Old 12-07-2008, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

First season is A LOT better than second season
Old 12-08-2008, 06:11 PM

traditionally, the first seasonseems better,but its usualy warmer and the deer are in an odd post rut transition-plus in my woods there are these green plants with thorns that are by far the thickest plants ive ever encountered, they block out an entire section of my woods, and they are ususlly dead by 2nd season
Old 12-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

always saw more during 1st season....though never a shooter, or if I saw one couldn't get a shot. Took 2 nice bucks during 2nd season in years past...

So always see more in 1st season, though coincidentally better 2nd season success.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I seen less deer first season but killed one. Opposite second season, seen more deer but wasn't in the right spot at the right time. Muzzleloader season this weekend. I hope to score on a nice buck I've had my eye on all fall.