Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 i got busted............now what? >

i got busted............now what?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

i got busted............now what?

Old 12-03-2008, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: i got busted............now what?

why should i move my stand to another tree? would hunting on the ground be a better idea for tomorrow? what strategies should i use tomorrow?

sorry to repeat this question
Old 12-03-2008, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11/OH
like there was a couple times he stopped looking at me and i moved very slowly and then he stared at me again. can i move slowly if hes staring at me? what does it mean if he stomps?
studies have shown that deer often look away in a method of deception in order to get their prey (or you) to move when you think they're not looking at them. Bucks and does often look "down" or "away" when in all reality they are keeping their attention focused on you to see if you make a move. Remember, the biological makeup disables deer to focus on objects that are completely still, thus, you should remain still as long as possible even if it means relinquishing the opportunity to get a shot. Often, not getting busted is more important than just trying to get in position to take a shot
Old 12-04-2008, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, I got pinched back in Oct. Pretty much the same scenario. I only saw the buck again on my trail camera a couple times. The one thing against me was this was public land. Once people started pounding around in that spot for the 4 day antlerless hunt a couple weeks later, that was the end of him for me anyway. If it was just you on your own land and only getting busted once, I would think you have a better chance of seeing him again. Hopefully anyway...
Old 12-04-2008, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

why should i move my stand to another tree? would hunting on the ground be a better idea for tomorrow? what strategies should i use tomorrow?

Yes i would moveyour standto a different treeclose to where you have it now.If he comes back out he is probably look up in that same tree to see if the coast is clear. And if he looks up and sees you there he'll probably spook.

Wayne
Old 12-04-2008, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you're worried about pressure and being detected and you think this buck is hanging around in that specific area its going to be awful hard for you to be able to get in, move a stand and get out without being detected, leaving a lot of scent or ruining the area for the next couple of days
Old 12-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not looking a deer directly in the eyes is a good piece of advice. Think about it, you see him, he sees you, you blink, he's gone!

As far as a deer lowering his head as a decoy to make you move, I think that's giving the deer too much credit. They ain't that smart. If a deer has doubts about what he sees, he will continue to look until he's either satisfied all is OK, or he feels a direct threat and reacts immediately. I have seen deer look at me for minutes trying to identify exactlywhat I was. Not only that but they never moved one step in that time.

As far as a strategy, I would hunt the same area. You can either hunt the same tree or move to give a better vantage point. If you want to hunt from the ground just make sure you play the wind.

Good luck, go getem!
Old 12-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

As far as a deer lowering his head as a decoy to make you move, I think that's giving the deer too much credit. They ain't that smart. If a deer has doubts about what he sees, he will continue to look until he's either satisfied all is OK, or he feels a direct threat and reacts immediately. I have seen deer look at me for minutes trying to identify exactlywhat I was. Not only that but they never moved one step in that time.

not so fast my friend as that is exactly what they do ask mr rue, alsheimer or anything other scientific literature on the matter The reason that deer look at you trying to identify you while you're still is because the biological make up of the receptors in their eyes does not allow for focusing on a stand still object
Old 12-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah next time im hunting will be this sunday evening becasue i have to go to chicago. but i hope pressure from my neighbors hunting their land will push them to my area and i can nab one sunday
Old 12-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

not so fast my friend as that is exactly what they do ask mr rue, alsheimer or anything other scientific literature on the matter The reason that deer look at you trying to identify you while you're still is because the biological make up of the receptors in their eyes does not allow for focusing on a stand still object
That and anatomically they are not suitedto seeobjects well straight in front of them.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:27 PM

ORIGINAL: wahoohunter

like there was a couple times he stopped looking at me and i moved very slowly and then he stared at me again. can i move slowly if hes staring at me? what does it mean if he stomps?
studies have shown that deer often look away in a method of deception in order to get their prey (or you) to move when you think they're not looking at them. Bucks and does often look "down" or "away" when in all reality they are keeping their attention focused on you to see if you make a move. Remember, the biological makeup disables deer to focus on objects that are completely still, thus, you should remain still as long as possible even if it means relinquishing the opportunity to get a shot. Often, not getting busted is more important than just trying to get in position to take a shot
Very interesting!! I never knew that!! thanks for the tip...
this is what makes this forum soo great. all the smart people...

Quick Reply: i got busted............now what?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.