Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Are Food Plotts important to seing deer? >

Are Food Plotts important to seing deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Are Food Plotts important to seing deer?

Old 12-01-2008, 06:11 PM

Default Are Food Plotts important to seing deer?

Should i put in a food plot to see more deer?
Old 12-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are Food Plotts important to seing deer?

Only one thing to vote on. What kind of poll is this?
Old 12-01-2008, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

Umm weird poll, but I think the answer is yes. You will see more deer, maybe lots more deer. The big one will still probably be in the woods untill after dark. I like standing corn for hunting season, soybeans are good summer nutrition, clover helps in the springand fall. Turnips are good for winter.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

it will help keep the deer on your property and it will help you hold the deer and grow bigger horns
Old 12-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Typical Buck

If you are in an agricultural area such as i am i don't think a food plot would make much difference but in areas where there is mainly forest and not other feed stuffs to eat such as wheat, soybeans, and corn year round they would make a difference. Also if you have a large amount of people that push during your gun season leaving corn fields uncut until after gun season will help to increase the amount of older deer you will see next year because the deer have a hiding place that hunters cannot push very effectively
Old 12-02-2008, 06:22 AM

Food plots can be a huge advantage if you like to see a lot of deer, though the amount of activity in them you'll see by older bucks during daylight hours will be small except around rut.
I plant a lot of food plots and have tried growing lots of different things in them thru the years. I've tried white clover, wheat, oats, crimson clover, rape, milo, corn, 2 different Biologic varieties, and a few other loose ends. This doesn't include my summer plots that have gotten iron clay peas.
I've experimented with strips of different things so I could observe what they hit the hardest when given choices. After trying all of the above, I've settled on corn and crimson clover as being consistently the best.
I usually have about 16 food plots planted during the season. I see lots of deer in most of them butregularlyfind shooter bucks there for only a few weeks each year. Of course one can show up at most anytime during our 4-month season, but I frequently kill my best bucks back in the sticks.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, if you want to see alot of deer, then you would probably want a food plot. But some of the best hunting you can do is to penetrate their bedding areas.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:14 AM

ORIGINAL: shplantation

Food plots can be a huge advantage if you like to see a lot of deer, though the amount of activity in them you'll see by older bucks during daylight hours will be small except around rut.
I plant a lot of food plots and have tried growing lots of different things in them thru the years. I've tried white clover, wheat, oats, crimson clover, rape, milo, corn, 2 different Biologic varieties, and a few other loose ends. This doesn't include my summer plots that have gotten iron clay peas.
I've experimented with strips of different things so I could observe what they hit the hardest when given choices. After trying all of the above, I've settled on corn and crimson clover as being consistently the best.
I usually have about 16 food plots planted during the season. I see lots of deer in most of them butregularlyfind shooter bucks there for only a few weeks each year. Of course one can show up at most anytime during our 4-month season, but I frequently kill my best bucks back in the sticks.
Do you see the big bucks later in December, well after the rut, on your food plots in daylight hours?
Old 12-02-2008, 09:50 AM

ORIGINAL: gypsybill

Do you see the big bucks later in December, well after the rut, on your food plots in daylight hours?
Generally I would say that I don't, thoughI still hunt them there a lot. First of all, I don't put a lot of pressure on my place, so the deer aren't as skittish around plots as they might be at some places, but there's no doubt a group of does in a plot during rut willusually draw at buck in for a visit.
As we get into late December and January,natural food sourcesare limited, and a nice sized patch of cloverand/or corn will always be a popular spot. Bucks will still feed there, but the issue is simply how much time they might be therewhena hunter has the ability to see them.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:41 AM

Thanks, shplantation. I built a big box blind in the middle of about a 10 acre food plot (wheat) just before deer season. During late October there were deer on it every day during shooting hours butalmost all were does. During the rut I set up two decoys, a buck and a doe, and hunted from the house where I was invisible but did not have any buck come to my decoys. Do you think the new house kept them away? Think next year would be enough time for them to get used to it or would late season this year possibly bring them out around it in the daytime?

Quick Reply: Are Food Plotts important to seing deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.