Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 PA Rifle opener,  bow and gun in stand.... animal down!  PICS!! >

PA Rifle opener, bow and gun in stand.... animal down! PICS!!

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

PA Rifle opener, bow and gun in stand.... animal down! PICS!!

Old 12-01-2008, 04:59 PM

Default PA Rifle opener, bow and gun in stand.... animal down! PICS!!

Hey guys,

Well, today was the wonderful opener of PA's rifle season. I got set-up in stand before light this morning and I was not only packing my custom made .280, but I also brought the bow. As the sun started rising I caught some movement in the thicket in front of me and when I pulled up my binos I saw shiny black fur [:-] I never really got a good look at it, but it appeared to be a smaller bear. I figured that was gonna put a damper on my hunt but I decided to stay put in my stand. About 40 minutes later I hear something behind me and turn to see 5 guys dressed head to toe in Orange "sneaking" through the woods. They spot me and I figured that they would leave as this was private property that only my grandfather, girlfriend, best-friend and I have permission to hunt. I really didn't feel like trying to be a hero as I was out man'd so I just sat in stand. These numbnuts then proceed to set up about 80 yards in front of me in a row. At this point I am livid, so I decided to start gathering my gear and head out of the woods to tell the landowner about these guys. As I am packing everything up I hear a deer blow to my right. I catch movement and when I pull up my binos I see a bobcat working its way towards the golden rod field behind me. At that point, I called it a day and went home.

After a short nap I decided to just grab my rifle and go patrol my family property to see if the tresspassers made their way over. I got set-up overlooking a little marsh with a cornfield on the opposite side. As I am standing there I catch movement down in the swamp around 150 yards from me and I notice that it is a coyote. We have been seeing a bunch of coyotes this year and I figured that I would try taking one out. The yote' stopped at about 125 yards and I was standing and had to make a quartering towards me free-hand shot. I ended up putting a perfect shot on him, hittingit in the neck where it meetsit's skull. As soon as I shot, I see another coyote bust out of the swamp and startrunning up the hill towards me. I tried finding it in my scope but couldn't as it was set on 9X power.

I know that this isn't about bowhunting, but I really don't visit anywhere else on this site and figuret hat it counts as I had my bow out hunting this morning

Anyways, here she is, a beautiful female coyote. She is now at my taxidermists and I am having a full body mount done.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: PA Rifle opener, bow and gun in stand.... animal down! PICS!!

Awesome Coyote, congrats!!!!!!!!!! I have a full body mount of the coyote I took with my bow 2 years back. I'm so glad I got the mount done!!!!!

Old 12-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the yote.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:52 PM

Thanks Joe, that is a beautiful mount. I am having mine done on a McKenzie form, the write up slip says that it is a CY 20165. It will be standing with it's front paws on a low stone, mouth closed. It was one of the most natural forms that I saw. I figured that I was in for a big bill but I was pleasently suprised, $390.00 for the full body mount with the display [:-]
Old 12-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice yote. I shot three this past sunday, sure are pretty this time of year (especially when they are dead).

Congrats!
Old 12-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

Very nice yote. I shot three this past sunday, sure are pretty this time of year (especially when they are dead).

Congrats!
Holy a-hole! 3 dogs?! Your right though, only good coyote is a dead one!

Congrats Magnet!
Old 12-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Very cool, congrats
Old 12-01-2008, 07:04 PM

Dang Kyle, 3 yotes in one night is impressive. We don't have a huge population of them here yet, and I intend to try to keep it that way. It is amazing though that the past two years our turkey population on my property has grown drastically and all of a sudden the coyotes start showing up.

Thanks guys, I am really happy with her. She has a beautiful coat on her and I excited to see how she turns out!
Old 12-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buck Magnet

Dang Kyle, 3 yotes in one night is impressive. We don't have a huge population of them here yet, and I intend to try to keep it that way. It is amazing though that the past two years our turkey population on my property has grown drastically and all of a sudden the coyotes start showing up.
Most we've shot in a day. It was just my buddy and I, but usually we only pick up one here and there. Deer numbers are way down, I'm curious of what the turkey population will look like. They sure put a hurtin' on turkeys, pheasants, and deer.

If I ever shoot one with my bow, I'll get a full body. I've only had a shot at one, in Montana. I blew that[&:]
Old 12-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on a nice 'Yote!!!

Quick Reply: PA Rifle opener, bow and gun in stand.... animal down! PICS!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.