Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

no luck with gun season

Old 12-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: no luck with gun season

ORIGINAL: trailrider894

with a bow i've missed to many!!
Maybe you should practice more............both with the rifle and bow

Question, how many deer have you lost?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

sorry but don't see how it is possible to miss unless you hit a tree or something. or it was a long shot. i've shot many many many deer with a gun and never once missed dropped every single one in it's tracks. i just kind wanna here the story of what happened. but my gun season was unsuccesful also. i did watch a 18 point that i would say would easily score over 160. on the neighbors land about 500 yards from my stand. i was told to never shoot deer from there land or i will be sued so i didn't shoot it. never saw a shoot worthy buck again the whole rifle season.
I don't think I have ever met someone who has never missed a deer and to have every deerthey have ever shot go down in their tracks. By killing many, many, many deer, do you meanthree? Trailrider, I have nothing against you, butthere was no need posting this. He missed a deer. Everybody eventually does, except you of course. You do know you have just cursed yourself, don't you?
Old 12-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

sorry but don't see how it is possible to miss unless you hit a tree or something. or it was a long shot. i've shot many many many deer with a gun and never once missed dropped every single one in it's tracks. i just kind wanna here the story of what happened. but my gun season was unsuccesful also. i did watch a 18 point that i would say would easily score over 160. on the neighbors land about 500 yards from my stand. i was told to never shoot deer from there land or i will be sued so i didn't shoot it. never saw a shoot worthy buck again the whole rifle season.
then you say:"mad very bad shots yes!!!! "

now I call BS!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

nope never missed a deer completely with a rifle. mad very bad shots yes!!!! but never missed.
And yet they all still dropped right in their tracks.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO not necessary to dump on the guy because of a miss.Misses happen for the most careful of hunters.I admire folks who are very careful in their shot selection but things happen that sometimes cannot be forseen.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

Hey, I've never missed with a rifle. I don't shoot unless I have a solid rest, or its a in the woods gimme shot under60 yds.I cant claim that everyone was drt, most ran about 50 yds, a few more, a few less, and afew drt with my ml or a shoulder shot with a rifle. Granted I've only taken32 deer with it and I'm sure itwill happen one day. I do practice constantly and very nearly missed with the biggest buck of my life with a rifle on a gimme shot in a field less than 100 yds away(very lucky spine shot), so I do understand the "choked" factor.

Better luck next year. And practice, practice, practice. It makes the season that much longer.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

shouldn't have said anything. i consider anything that doesn't make it more than 30yds in it's tracks.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

shouldn't have said anything. i consider anything that doesn't make it more than 30yds in it's tracks.
Well hell, "technically" every deer drops in their tracks

Old 12-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Spike

I didn't get one either, but going second season this weekend. I passed on a small 5. Didn't want to waste my buck tag on him. Since my freezer is empty of deer meat I'll take anything that walks by this time, if any thing walks by that is!!!!