Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 My short Wis. rifle hunt UPDATE: WEIGHT & SCORE >

My short Wis. rifle hunt UPDATE: WEIGHT & SCORE

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My short Wis. rifle hunt UPDATE: WEIGHT & SCORE

Old 11-29-2008, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: My short Wis. rifle hunt

Nice deer and an even a better story. As much as I likearchery I would never miss gun season. It's a different experience walking thru the woods gun at the ready.

I can't say I have walked up on a buck and killed him but I am working on it even after 30 years of hunting.

You gotta admit magic that GPS's are the slickest thing since sliced bread. You can go deep off the beaten trail and still they just point the way back to home. It sure give you a much higher level of confidence and the ability to NOT to worry about the dark.

I would like to see your deers twin up on top of Beartown when the MA season opens Monday. I know this thick patch of laural in a swamp up there that the deer really love. Wouldn't be able to get there without the GPS and I KNOW no one will be up there. To far from the trucks!!
Old 11-29-2008, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Planter

Nice deer and an even a better story. As much as I likearchery I would never miss gun season. It's a different experience walking thru the woods gun at the ready.

I can't say I have walked up on a buck and killed him but I am working on it even after 30 years of hunting.

You gotta admit magic that GPS's are the slickest thing since sliced bread. You can go deep off the beaten trail and still they just point the way back to home. It sure give you a much higher level of confidence and the ability to NOT to worry about the dark.

I would like to see your deers twin up on top of Beartown when the MA season opens Monday. I know this thick patch of laural in a swamp up there that the deer really love. Wouldn't be able to get there without the GPS and I KNOW no one will be up there. To far from the trucks!!
I have been studying and practicing the art of tracking for a few years now. It sure is paying off. Nobody in that area was seeing any deer and tracking allowed me to take a nice one in 2 days. I love bow hunting but since I got into tracking it has become my favorite method of hunting. What an ultimate rush it is!

The GPS is an awesome tool! I don't worry about getting lost because I have a compass. But the GPS saves me a lot of steps on my way out. I also mark interesting spots that I might want to set a stand for those days I can't track. It was nice for marking my deer as well. More snow was on the way and in that huge swamp it would have been easy to lose the deer. (I made a trip out to get a rope and drop my rifle)

Good luck on your hunt! I hope this guy's grandpa shows up at your stand!
Old 11-29-2008, 09:54 AM
Spike

Good story and a fine buck!
Old 11-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 2 Lunger

Guys like you who can track down a buck in snow and are able to kill them scare the bejesus out of me! Talk about true hunting! Congrats sir on a fine whitetail!
I gotta agree with you on this one as well 2 Lunger!!
Old 11-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice deer!
Old 11-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats !! Sounds like a great hunt. I love stalking in snow, but can't get around like I use to. So I guess I'll sit with bow in hand in the tree stand from now on.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome...thats a great buck and a very nice story.

Congrats!
Old 11-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

MM - Thanks for sharing the story. I was getting pumped just reading it and can't wait till we get some snow down here in Delaware. (maybe by the Jan season)

I'm sure jumping him was a surprise. If you did not get a shot, do you think you would have gotten another chance?

Outside of just learning how to track from trial and error. Any other books help you along the way?Would love to learn a bit more than I do know.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had hoped to try some still hunting in the snow myself, only problem is the snow didn't show up here in Chippewa county where I hunt. I really like getting on a track in the snow like that and trying to bag one. It has never worked for me though.
Congrats on a fine hard earned buck. I think I could learn a thing or to from you. What county did you get him from?
Old 11-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pick00l

MM - Thanks for sharing the story. I was getting pumped just reading it and can't wait till we get some snow down here in Delaware. (maybe by the Jan season)

I'm sure jumping him was a surprise. If you did not get a shot, do you think you would have gotten another chance?

Outside of just learning how to track from trial and error. Any other books help you along the way?Would love to learn a bit more than I do know.
Anything from the Beniots is a good start also check out a book by Hal Blood called something like hunting big woods bucks.

Quick Reply: My short Wis. rifle hunt UPDATE: WEIGHT & SCORE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.