Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stalk or sit?

Old 11-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Stalk or sit?

I'm curious as to how many guys, during gun season, sit in one spot the whole time theyre in the woods, or do you prefer to walk around ,and kick something up, or spot and stalk.

I've always been a "sitter" . I've always considered stalking a less productive way to hunt, feeling that the deer will usually see me 1st, and run out of sight, or at least not give me time for a clear shot. Although, I have felt that wind/snow can be good conditions to stalk.

This week, I'm hunting public land that is very big, and has been shot up for 2 weeks already, so I'm trying to cover as much ground as possible since I am not too familiar w/ this land yet. The area has lots of deer but I just cant seem to get on anything at all. I've walked for miles, for two days now ,and havent kicked up a single deer.

Should I keep at it, or just do what has always worked for me, and sit over a funnel and wait? Thing is, I only have a few hours each morning to hunt, and there is a long check in process on this land every morning ,and its hard to get set up by legal shooting light, which isnt till 7 am in NY anyway.

Thoughts? Thanks in adavnce.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Stalk or sit?

I hunt primarily in southeasternAlabama, and sometimes in south-central Arkansas.It is very difficult if not impossible to do what is referred to as "spot and stalk" hunting in the areas I hunt. Just too heaviily wooded or thick with head waist to head high brush, or understory.You can't spot much when about as far as you can see is maybe 100 yards. Even if you could, the stalking would be tough because you are already starting out pretty darn close and it is rare that you can keep an eye on the game as you move in cloiser, playing the wind and using theterrain, etc. "Kicking" something up generally does not pan out either because a deer need onlybust out and go 100 yards, sometimes less, and be long outof sight and headed to who knows where. So I scout and scout and scout. Probsably spend 4-1 times scouting to hunting. Then locate a climber, ladder, lock-on or ground blind where I think I will see deer ... and wait.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

sit. here in central florida it is too thick to do any stalking unless you want to shoot down a road.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Spike

I sit and wait seems to work the best with My area
Old 11-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

Me, I'd rather sit down and wait for them.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

sit
Old 11-27-2008, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a guy but i enjoy sitting depending on my mood.

The norm however is stalking where I come from. Theres nothing quite like stalking a deer and having that fresh air in your face. I much prefer it but sitting is ok too.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always sit in the morning and afternoon, but I've been known to take a little midday stroll through the woods to see if I can maybe flush one out.

Mike

Old 11-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sitting in a productive area has always been the right approach for me. Stalking / walking has only worked for me when the heavy wind and rain have started to become too much. Those are the only times I'll pull out of my stand and walk in a spot and stalk fashion back to my vehicle. I've been luck and have killed several deer in bad weather enroute to the truck.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Spike

i'm lucky enough to be from Montana where you can spot and stalk easily in most parts of the state

Quick Reply: Stalk or sit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.