Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

"Road Hunting" laws??

Old 11-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Spike

Default "Road Hunting" laws??

Do any states/provinces that you all know of have laws against "Road Hunting"?? I think it has really started to hit me since I bought a little land but I see a couple cars a day the rest of the year, but come deer season, its like an interstate by my place only the trucks and "hunters" are only going 5 mph. I feel if you are going to hunt, get in the woods and hunt instead of picking off a deer in sight of the road.

If you have laws, how are they worded and how are they enforced?

Thanks all

D
Old 11-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: "Road Hunting" laws??

The only laws that should interest you are the ones in your state. I think you should define what you mean by road hunting as well.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Spike

M Magis, Im only looking for comparison purposes. I did a google search for road hunting and I guess its seen differently in other places. When we say road hunting in VT, we mean riding in your vehicle, creeping along the roads, looking for a deer that is in a field, on a lawn, under an apple tree etc that you can jump out, get 10 feet off the road and shoot. I guess to each their own, but thats shooting, not hunting a deer.

I work in law enforcement in a rich resort town and we get calls all the time about the "road hunters" and it is also the cause of MANY posted signs to go up.

Just wanted to see what other states did on this type of thing.

I realize every state has their own way of looking at things. Just like OH compared to VT private land. You need written permission out there to hunt and it can be hard to come by. In VT if its not posted, its open to hunt on.

Not trying to start a problem, just comparing other states. The only places Ive hunted are VT and OH.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

In VT if its not posted, its open to hunt on.
That's why I say that other laws won't apply. In most states, private ground is just that, private. It doesn't matter if it's posted or not. Therefore, your type of road hunting just doesn't happen much in other states. Or, if it does, it's illegal because of trespassing. I've always wondered about the thought process behind the private land laws in your state. Sounds very frustrating.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Spike

Yes, very frustrating. Before I started hunting in OH, I never thought Id like a state where I couldnt just hunt wherever but after 8 or 9 years of it out there, and now owning land myself, I like the idea.

Id like to put a bug in the ears of some board members and/or lawmakers here about these issues. This is why I ask as I know they are going to say, what can we do about road hunting, how can we enforce it...

I do see what you mean about the problem here though. If they couldnt hunt on private land, there would be no need to road hunt.

Thanks for the quick replies

D
Old 11-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

Pitt

Hunt with a firearm from or on, or across a public road or the
right-of-way thereof.

Hunt while under the influence of an impairing substance.

Hunt with a firearm within 300 feet of any residency or occupied
building without the written, signed and dated permission
of the owner or lessee of the land. Permission must be
renewed annually.

Hunt or to discharge a firearm on or across posted land without
the written, signed and dated permission of the owner or lessee.
Permission must be renewed annually.

Release dogs on or to allow dogs to run on posted land without
the written signed and dated permission of the owner or lessee
of the land. Permission must be renewed annually

That the ILLEGAL stuff.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Wisconsin, you can't hunt from the road, or 50 feet from it.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:58 PM
Typical Buck

Here in Indiana you cannot hunt from the road and you must be 50yds off the road as well.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Road hunters (poachers) have been a real probem where I hunt in SW WI.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

In Oklahoma you can't shoot from, down, or across a road. If you were creeping down the road and saw a deer and jumped out of the vehicle, over the fence and shot a deer you would still be trespassing unless it was your own land. In that case it would be legal providing you were observing other laws such as blaze orange requirements. Land not being posted does not give you right to trespass, either.

Quick Reply: "Road Hunting" laws??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.