Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

BBD IL Buck

Old 11-25-2008, 07:14 PM

Default RE: BBD IL Buck

do they have to be skinned and everthing the day you kill them?
Old 11-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: beardstowndeerhunter

No, especially how could it has been. Often when I harvest a deer, I may not be able to get to it until two days later with school and work. As long as it is cold enough it should not be a problem at all.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Sport4

No, especially how could it has been. Often when I harvest a deer, I may not be able to get to it until two days later with school and work. As long as it is cold enough it should not be a problem at all.
Yuck
Old 11-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: JimmyMo32

Yuck
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that! As I stated as long as the temps are cold enough the deer will be fine. I guess for now on if I shoot a deer Monday morning and find him Tuesday morning in temperatures of 32 degrees I should just not take him. Maybe you get on it right away, and trust me I usually do to except for a handful of times, but it does not mean the meat will go bad after one day. The time I referred to skinning a deer two days later, the deer was in a walk-in cooler set at around 40 degrees. THE MEAT WAS FINE!!! The temps are colder than 40 degrees outside right now.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:43 PM

That's fine and dandy keeping it in a walk in cooler or whatever you do... but if one has time to go out and kill the animal.. one should have time or make time immediately to process the animal. Heck, at least skin the thing. That is just giving the bacteria and bugs to get settled into the meat through the open cavity of the deer..
Old 11-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

Anyways, that is a great buck beardstowndeerhunter!! Don't let these guys talk you down they obviously don't know the facts before posting something.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:48 PM
Fork Horn

That's fine and dandy keeping it in a walk in cooler or whatever you do... but if one has time to go out and kill the animal.. one should have time or make time immediately to process the animal. Heck, at least skin the thing. That is just giving the bacteria and bugs to get settled into the meat through the open cavity of the deer..
I agree with you here. Also the other times I did not get to it right away was when another buddy also harvested a deer a day later, and we decide to do it on the same day with other friends helping. I guess my main point is to not be Ms. Debbie Downer when someone is excited about his buck(s).
Old 11-25-2008, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I Dont always butcher my deer on the same day if its cool enough. As a matter of fact if I go out and kill a buck and 3 does on Friday and 3 more does on Saturday and 5 more does on Sunday I wont Butcher any of them until Monday and Tuesday. Where does it say that you have to butcher a deer on the day you get it. I know alot of people that let them age for a day or 4. That being said You guys need to quit being negative and get over it.

Congrats to you and all the fellow hunters that got those deer.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you here. Also the other times I did not get to it right away was when another buddy also harvested a deer a day later, and we decide to do it on the same day with other friends helping. I guess my main point is to not be Ms. Debbie Downer when someone is excited about his buck(s).

Whatever. You guys never heard of letting a deer hang and age??? Has nothing to do with IMMEDIATLY PROCESSING a deer. Get over it.

Heres a link asking about aging deer.
http://www.whitetaildeer.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3195582
Old 11-26-2008, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

I love the pic with the truck, gonna have to start calling that thing the "meat wagon"! I don't understand everyone getting bent out of shape about the deer not being skinned yet. I always try to skin mine as soon as I can as a matter of convenience but it will be just fine if they aren't skinned right away (assuming the weather is cold...narcissism can run wild on these boards, just try to ignore it). Those other two bucks are pretty nice as well

Quick Reply: BBD IL Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.