Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

too many deer...

Old 11-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default too many deer...

I never though I would say this but I think I found a place that has too many deer. It's a park by my house that I hike and run at and apparently it's got one of the highest deer population per square mile in the US. Check it out:

http://www.myfoxkc.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=7944247&version=1&locale= EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.1.1

I've been sayng for years that they need close the park for a week or two, issue a few hundred bowhunting tags and Johnson county parks and rec will have their problem solved.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: too many deer...

send them here to wisconsin. our numbers are down this year
Old 11-25-2008, 03:34 PM
Spike

Deer Population Boom Could "Treaten" Shawnee Mission Park

Yeah, maybe we gotta get some deer to "treaten" us here in WI.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, do you'll have suburban hunts? That would be a great idea to shut that park down for a few days.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: 1shotkill1993

Wow, do you'll have suburban hunts? That would be a great idea to shut that park down for a few days.
not near this park, too many namby-pambies around that would raise a stink (we've had a lot of people move here from California in the last few years ).
Old 11-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

They said "20 deer per sq mile" !

I also heard that they were VERY serious about having a bow hunt there to knock them back.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: BIG DONNIE BRASCO

They said "20 deer per sq mile" !

I also heard that they were VERY serious about having a bow hunt there to knock them back.
I think they said 200 deer per square mile, which sounds about right. Everytime I go there, I nearly hit one with my car and I count at least 20 feeding out in the open in the evening. I also found a dead doe a few weeks ago while hiking oneof the back trails. She had no apparent injuries and was bleeding out of her mouth and nose. Pretty scary stuff...
Old 11-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: MO-KS_hunter

ORIGINAL: 1shotkill1993

not near this park, too many namby-pambies around that would raise a stink (we've had a lot of people move here from California in the last few years ).
Yeah, They leave the left coast because they can't stand it and then they make the mistake of bringing the left coast with them when they move.

Here in the Des Moines area, most municipalities have bow hunting with fairly strict rules. Shoot ten does and you get an antler tag. It seems to hold them down a bit.

Iowa City, however,is a little bit of California here in Iowa. They spend tens of thousands of dollars hiring an east coast vermine control company to bring in "sharpshooters". They are denying their own citizens who like to hunt, then taxing them to take care of a problem that should be making them money.

Bob
Old 11-25-2008, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Call in the snipers
Old 11-26-2008, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm on a plane, be there in a few hours!

Quick Reply: too many deer...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.