Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Why would you ever leave the woods? >

Why would you ever leave the woods?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why would you ever leave the woods?

Old 11-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Why would you ever leave the woods?

Cant kill a deer in the cabin!!! Thats my motto. Im out there to get a deer, and this year happens to be a specific goal year for me, I want to make either P&Y or the Hoosier Record Book. I hunt in a very comfortable stand (Summit) and can and have sat all day long. Now I do this also because my days in the woods are limited, so I try to maximize the time Im out there. Still trying to get the ol' lady to understand this as well.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

There are a lot of reasons for leaving mid day.

Number one for me is social. We hunt alone, ambush hunting, at lunch we see how the others did. We BS, get warm, plan the afternoon hunt. Having lunch in town helps the restaurant to remain profitable. Without hunters, I suspect that some of these businesses would fold (motels and gas stations included). If they fold, the quality of life is diminished for all of the residents of the town. We do a small drive after lunch if conditions warrant. One year cousin left a strip of corn about 40 yards wide and 1/2 mile long. We had not way of knowing that this strip would be there ahead of time as they were actively combining the crop (not that field right then). We did the drive, got two deer, and then hunted separately until dark. Meeting at midday got us those two deer.

Two, it gets old, sitting all day.

Three, it is often too cold or too wet to sit all day without a break.

Lastly, it is supposed to be fun. I don't understand why so many people turn hunting, and fishing too, into competitions. (or endurance tests) People keep score to such a degree that they are appalled if you actually eat a bass or a trout. The different "bass" organizations have ruined bass fishing as far as I'm concerned. We will have two hunters with us this year who have never shot a deer. Anything they shoot will be alright by me. I am going to ask that the others shoot does and let small buck pass. Big buck are fun and they won't get that way unless they survive being little.

Bob

I decide where I will place my "stand" (a three legged stool). I decide when I need to move. I decide when, to go back to the vehicles. I decide to shoot or not to shoot the deer that I see. It is the best time for me
Old 11-25-2008, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

I live in the middle of the woods, literally. Way back. Our nearest neighbors are two miles up the hill and out of the woods. So, you kind of get used to it. I also know the deer in my area, and I know that during midday most of them are bedded down til about 4.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:29 PM

I get squirmy around 10:30am. My hunting buddies and I go into town to eat, we do a little work around the farm, watch some football if it's Saturday, and get back in the stand around 3pm.

I would go nuts sitting in the stand all day. However, I have killed the most deer in the middle of the afternoon in the rain. That is the only time I will hunt the mid-afternoon.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:30 PM

TO GET LUNCH, REST US REST ROOM ETC, I'M OUT & ON STAND @ DARK. & ALSO IT'S JUST HOW I HUNT.....
Old 11-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

I posted this reply in anothern thread:

My (our) normal times are all day - dark 'til dark. We always stay in the woods all day, never leaving. It's a personal choice and I understand a lot of hunters leave during mid-day hours but we stay all day for one simple reason. We love being in the woods and hunting deer.

I understand there are outside factors that require leaving the woods; family/work obligations, health issues, nasty weather conditions, etc but I could never understand why folks leave the woods and only hunt 50-60% of the hunting day. Sure, the chances of success may decrease during mid-day and that tells me some hunters only want to be around when their chances are the best. A plan I never understood, especially if there is no outside reason to leave.

Just my 2 cents

Why leave?
Tired? Hungry? Not fun anymore?

Just curious
So do you understand why they have to leave early or not? In one sentence you say you understand there are reasons and even list some and then in another sentence you say you could never understand why.

Which is it bud?
Old 11-25-2008, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm like a deer too GregH...I eat at 10 AM...chew tabacco...bed down...then rise at 2PM.

However, when the ruts on I'm awake and out there.

I wish I would start sitting all day. I love the outdoors enough to do so...sometime the guys at deer camp also cause me to pull out early and have brecky...my fault though..I should hang with naturemore.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only reason I leave is because I don't see anything, but even then I'll sit out all day.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Typical Buck

Best time to kill a big buck seems to be from 10-2, when most leave the woods. It's funny how people never seem to think that deer do notpattern human movment. Like when you fill a bird feeder that a deer can reach. If you fill it everyday at a certain time the deer will be come accustom to it and come at after you fill it and go back to your daily routine. Deer have a daily routine as well, just like us waking up and going to work. Remember derr have to fill their bellies every 3-4 hours, no matter what the weather is,like a horse or the will starve to death.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sangster

ORIGINAL: Jimmy S

I posted this reply in anothern thread:

My (our) normal times are all day - dark 'til dark. We always stay in the woods all day, never leaving. It's a personal choice and I understand a lot of hunters leave during mid-day hours but we stay all day for one simple reason. We love being in the woods and hunting deer.

I understand there are outside factors that require leaving the woods; family/work obligations, health issues, nasty weather conditions, etc but I could never understand why folks leave the woods and only hunt 50-60% of the hunting day. Sure, the chances of success may decrease during mid-day and that tells me some hunters only want to be around when their chances are the best. A plan I never understood, especially if there is no outside reason to leave.

Just my 2 cents

Why leave?
Tired? Hungry? Not fun anymore?

Just curious
So do you understand why they have to leave early or not? In one sentence you say you understand there are reasons and even list some and then in another sentence you say you could never understand why.

Which is it bud?
The reasons I listed were 'outside factors that require leaving the woods'. The key word is require. And yes, I understand why hunters leave for other reasons. Understanding something and agreeng with it are totally different. I also said it's a personal choice, which I don't practice. To me, the hunting season comes once a year and I try to take advantage of that time.

Did I answer your question bud?

Quick Reply: Why would you ever leave the woods?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.