Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Why would you ever leave the woods? >

Why would you ever leave the woods?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why would you ever leave the woods?

Old 11-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why would you ever leave the woods?

If I have the choice, I stay out in the woods and happens occasionally (10-20%).

#1) Reality in my household is that I have a 2 1/2 year old spark plug running around the house, so I need to relieve Mama from her duties once in a while.
#2) Oh yeah - I own a small manufacturing business and have "some" responsibilities to my customers and employee's.
#3) I have had little luck with rain or stiff winds, so I opt to use my hunting time wisely (see #1).
#4) Sometimes I get bored after 3 or 4 hours.
#5) Sometimes my back and neck start killing me enough to make me think I might lose my faculties.
That's a good sign to leave, when the pain make's you think you might tip out of your tree stand.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

Depends on the season and the spot.

During the rut i try to stay on stand all day. (try being the key word)

I have a place i hunt in the suburbs where there is no point for me to hunt in the mornings, been hunting there for a while and never see anything in the am, however i must be on stand before noon, no matter what time of year. The deer move heavey there between 1230 and 230, and then again an hour or so before dark. Guess it depends on the area. High pressure deer typically dont move much during the day, so for some guys its a waste, however you never know unless your there.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sunday is my day off ,and I hunt ,all day, every sunday throughout deer season. I only leave if I get somthing. During the week, I sit till about 11am, then I have go to work, but I have to pry my butt of the stand w/ a crowbar. I wait all year to hunt deer, and I want to be in the woods every second I can.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

i am generally in my stand around 0515 hrs. and i stay there until around 1200 hrs. i get down and walk to my truck to eat lunch and relax for a bit. i generally go back to my stand around 1400 hrs. and sit until around 1815-1830 hrs. (dark) my normal hunt is usually 10+ hours a day in the stand. the times i leave for lunch also vary on the major feed times. if the major feed times are in the middle of the day, i may get down earlier or later to eat and get back in the stand during these "peak" hours. i also hunt solely out of climbing tree stands (Summit) and even though they are comfortable, i still get stove up from long sits.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: GregH

I hunt so many days in a row that I become like a deer. Between 9 -10 AM, I get hungry, eat then bed down. I get up early afternoon and stay on stand until dark. This method seems to work for me.
lmao... me too
Old 11-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deleted for skirting the profanity filter, violation of posting rule number 1.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Fork Horn

I will stay in the stand until my back tells me that I've been there long enough.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Dominant Buck

I lack the patience for an all day sit anymore, and when you live in a woods the scenery doesn't change much. I know the crossing periods for the local herd and simply come "out back" during the prime intercept times. Two to three hours is about all I havethe patiencefor, and by avoiding the less productive hours I have time to attend to chores. I hit the dawn, midday, and evening hours, about two hours each.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Spike

I would like to be able to but I either fall asleep, have to use the bathroom, get bored, or am too uncomfortable I can't stand it any more. So I go it and take care of what needs to be taken care of.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

Simple.. because i want to... No other reason

Quick Reply: Why would you ever leave the woods?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.