Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

gun?

Old 11-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default gun?

ok so i got my mossberg sited in with a rifled barrel for deer hunting but every thanksgiving i go on a dove hunt with my brothers and deer season starts next monday i was wondereing if i could take off the rifled barrel and put on my regular barrel for dove hunting and then put the rifled barrel back and not have to resight it in
Old 11-25-2008, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: gun?

If you have open sights or a cantilever scope mount you will be okay. If you have a scope mounted via a scope mount that fits on top of the receiver you would need to re-sight in.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sure you can, just don't expect it to shoot the same. Really, don't take the chance unless you have time to recheck zero. See if someone can loan you a gun to dove hunt with. Good luck with your deer season.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Northport buckslayr

If you have open sights or a cantilever scope mount you will be okay. If you have a scope mounted via a scope mount that fits on top of the receiver you would need to re-sight in.

I'm gonna have to disagree. Anytime you remove a barrel regardless of if it has rifle sights or a scope mounted anyway, you take the chance of it not shooting the same.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

i guess ill have to borrow my dads 410 [&o]
Old 11-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: sjsfire

I'm gonna have to disagree. Anytime you remove a barrel regardless of if it has rifle sights or a scope mounted anyway, you take the chance of it not shooting the same.
I have a cantilever slugbarrel on my 870. It has never changed zero on me. I change barrel for pheasant and duck hunting then back to deer hunting and the slug barrel has never changed zero. My advice, get a good scope and scope rings. My bro hasa mossberg 500 with standard rifle sight and does the same every year. As far as I know, he has got that gun like forever and changes barrel every year for bird then back to deer hunting.He never had any problem with keeping the zero too. So I say your okay with changing the barrel, unlesslikeNorthport buckslayr
mention you have the scope mount on top of the reciever. So go for it.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

I have taken my barrel off and put the vent rib on for turkey hunting for years. The rifled slug barrel still shooots dead on when I put it back on, unless mossbergs are significantly different than my 870 express I would bet you my rem 700 you'll be fine.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

evne though i have a scope on there it wont b e screwed up wheni put it back on?
Old 11-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

It depends on how the scope is mounted. If its cantilever you'll be fine. If its mounted on the receiver via an after market scope mount then you have to re-zero it. That why cantilever systems ame about, so you can take the barrel off with messing up your zero.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

im not sure wat a cantilever is but the mount on my gun was atached to it when i got it so i cant move it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.