Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Deer curiousity vs fear vs us? >

Deer curiousity vs fear vs us?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer curiousity vs fear vs us?

Old 11-24-2008, 09:57 PM
MLS

Default Deer curiousity vs fear vs us?

I know whitetail deer are a curious animal to an extent, butisn't their fear of humans and fire much stronger? I ask because something was walking around out beyond the light of the bonfire and we could not see what it was.(this happenedat thanksgiving time a few years back and the topic comes up everyso often)Must have been a larger animal because there wasnt the rustling of thegrass that goes along with smaller animals.It scaredthe girlsbad enough that they wanted to leave(after Isuggested the possibility it might be a mountain lion or another human maybe). I'm honestly not sure what it was but a curious whitetailor a buck wanting to protect its territory seems to make the most sense. actually it did sound like a human walking around but its not really the type of area for someone else to be especially in the middle of the night. So whats your opinion? Ridicule me if you must but my curiousity is getting the best of me.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:26 PM

Default RE: Deer curiousity vs fear vs us?

First of all, where were you located when this happened? Second, I've seen deer walk past a campsite with a bonfire going before so it is not impossible.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:38 PM
MLS

ok thats all i needed to know. I've had quite a few fires in somewhat secluded areas and never had a large animal check it out like that before. If they did it seemed to be by accident and took off like rockets after they realized where they were (racoons, skunks)
Old 11-24-2008, 10:41 PM
MLS

It was in southeast NDby the way.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:13 PM

It's quite possible that it was a deer, but it could have been a number of species. Hell, it might have been Sasquatch for all you know. Too bad it was dark and you couldn't prove it if it really was. The part about scaring the girls sounds exactly like something I would do. Not very nice, but funny at the time!
Old 11-25-2008, 02:58 AM
Banned

Could have been big foot, good thing you left.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:13 AM
Fork Horn

trolls

probally is a deer just checking you out

Old 11-25-2008, 06:38 AM
Fork Horn

Probably a man-bear-pig. Al Gore says they're really common in ND!
Old 11-25-2008, 06:57 AM
Spike

Oh yeah,

On our lease in TX, we're camped on an access 'road' (actually a clearing through the trees) to a gas well. There's a creek running through about 30-40 yds. to the north.
We'll be sitting there at night with a campfire, or lantern and have does come up within 30 yds and blow at us. They don't act scared, and eventually calmly walk off.
Also, a probable 150 class was spotted from camp about 50-60 yds. on the other side of the creek from camp. My buddies uncle now has his 'blind' right beside the camper, sitting at a table with a cooler as a gun rest, just waiting..............
Old 11-25-2008, 07:09 AM

i don think it was a deer

Quick Reply: Deer curiousity vs fear vs us?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.