Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how do you hang and skin?

Old 11-24-2008, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default how do you hang and skin?

im amazed at the diiferent ways people hang and skin deer. iv tried several but the way i do it anymore is to hang from back legs on a single tree( redneck for gambrel). then just skin him down. how do you all do it?
Old 11-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: how do you hang and skin?

hang him up by the back legs and start skinning cut out the back straps and everything that you want,then cut the hams and seperate them from the pelvis ball socket and let the meat chill for a couple of days before I cut it up and freeze it.yum yum back straps!!
Old 11-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: coyote#68

hang him up by the back legs and start skinning cut out the back straps and everything that you want,then cut the hams and seperate them from the pelvis ball socket and let the meat chill for a couple of days before I cut it up and freeze it.yum yum back straps!!
sounds exactly like i do it. im curious why so many ppl hang them from the neck
Old 11-24-2008, 11:09 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: okcaveman

sounds exactly like i do it. im curious why so many ppl hang them from the neck
My Friends dad's deer hunting group hangs them from the neck too. I even asked him a few years ago why he did it like that and he told it was so all of the residual blood can drip down and out. His reasoning was that when you hang them from the back legs the blood pools in the neck area and can spoil the meat and make it taste sour. But I found his reasoning dubious because I always hang mine from the back legs and have never had that problem. And also because he is one of those old-timers who has stories (usually a highly entertaining ones) to go along with the way he does everything so I think he makes up half of what he says.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:21 PM

First of all, if the heart is not beating and you are hanging it where it is cold then the blood isn't going to travel a whole lot. At least, that's what I would assume but I'm not an expert on that kind of thing. Second, who cares if the blood pools in the neck. Unless you shoot a monster there isn't a whole lot of meat on the neck that is worth messin with. It's not the most tender meat by any means. And if that is his reasoning then hanging them by the neck would mean the blood pools in the hind quarters where you can get some great meat from. Never understood the hanging from the neck thing but I guess to each his own. Oh, and when you hang from the back legs the blood always drains through the wind pipe and out the mouth.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

i hang from the the rear legs and cut all the way down to the neck so all the blood and pour out into a bucket that i place under the deer. then i skin around each elbow and knee, making a cut along the inside of the leg up to where i made the initial cut down the middle. from here i skin around the rear legs and around the ham. once over the ham, i grab a fistful of the skin and pull the skin down to the shoulders where i start skinning around the shoulders. i'll skin as far down the neck as possible and then cut the head off. after the deer is skinned, i cut the legs off at the elbows and knees. then i remove the shoulders, back straps, tenderloins, neck meatand hams.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:22 AM

i usually just send mine to the processor
Old 11-25-2008, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

i hang from the the rear legs and cut all the way down to the neck so all the blood and pour out into a bucket that i place under the deer. then i skin around each elbow and knee, making a cut along the inside of the leg up to where i made the initial cut down the middle. from here i skin around the rear legs and around the ham. once over the ham, i grab a fistful of the skin and pull the skin down to the shoulders where i start skinning around the shoulders. i'll skin as far down the neck as possible and then cut the head off. after the deer is skinned, i cut the legs off at the elbows and knees. then i remove the shoulders, back straps, tenderloins, neck meatand hams.
x2
Old 11-25-2008, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hang from the hind legs, when it comes to skinning some people like to leave the cape on to prevent any meat from drying out, some like to get the cape off while it's still warm and easier to remove. I always leave the fat that's covering the tenderloins though, others trim the tenderloins out right away.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

I hang and skin the same way you do okcaveman.

Quick Reply: how do you hang and skin?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.