HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Ever fear getting shot? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/275300-ever-fear-getting-shot.html)

Mottz 11-24-2008 08:09 PM

Ever fear getting shot?

Even wearing orange,I've had some close calls with road hunters stopping and backing up. And I just heard on the news tonight that it happened to someone. Story said he was coming out of the timber into a cut cornfield and got shot by someone unknown. I guess I just don't understand how someone just shoots before identifying their target. Feel bad for the guy and I hope they find whoever is responsible.

nap 11-24-2008 08:15 PM

RE: Ever fear getting shot?

I try not to think about it. And the reason being is i hunt public land.

Okiegunnut 11-24-2008 08:26 PM

I hunted some public land once , I will never do that again if I dont have to. There were gunshots going off everywhere, I felt like I was in the middle of a war. The funny thing about it was there were not that many deer being checked in. I think some people need to shoot their rifles more than just opening morning of rifle season. My 2 cents.:D

Ol JohnnyBoy 11-24-2008 09:30 PM

[:'(]If hunters would identify their targets this wouldn't be a problem. Some scumbags have ruined it for many ethical hunters. That's why I refuse to hunt on public land. I know accidents can happen anywhere but I think it happens more on public land than private.

Full Blown Rut 11-25-2008 07:21 AM

i have that slight fear every now and again. the first couple days of gun season thats about it

RugerM77.270 11-25-2008 07:22 AM

I hunt 500 acres and usually by myself so the likelyhood is low but I still take precautions. I hunt is an blaze vest at all times even when I'm not hunting I wear the vest till I lock the gate as I leave. Another thing I do is use my flashlight. Even if I can see fine because I got to the stand a littlelate I use my flashlight and every minute or so do a 360 with it so if someone else is out there by permission or otherwise they will see me and know that I am there.

CamoCop 11-25-2008 07:43 AM

quite a few years ago a small boy was shot off his grandfathers lap while squirrel hunting here on public land. i don't know all the details but the grandfather was sitting on the edge of a dirt road (probably taking a break from squirrel hunting) with his grandson in his lap when another hunter (deer hunting) shot the grandson thinking he was a deer. i find this really hard to swallow knowing that there is antler restrictions where this happened at with no antlerless tags. meaning the hunter should have had to look closer at his "target" to make sure it was legal.

xkmorris 11-25-2008 07:57 AM

I don't hunt public lands.But we still have these idiots out in the woods that will shoot at any thing they think they see. That is why I go early before any one else gites in the woods and stay longer til they all go back to camp. I teach my grandson to be sure of his target and to make sure to check behind it to see if the area is all clear.

piney 11-25-2008 10:30 AM

Its alway in the back of my mind during the firearm season. Its a good reason to stay up in the stand instead of wandering.

Buck Hunter 1 11-25-2008 12:42 PM

Ha-Ha first day in any state! I have hunted PA, OH and MI on the forstdays and it can get to look like the sorting goods depat. at Kmart w/ all the orange. I

crenshaw 11-25-2008 01:04 PM

My neighbor used to have a guy that hunted and he was about the biggest piece of you know what I have ever seen. This guy shot my barn one afternoon why i was playing with my dog. He used to shoot down into my property from the field up above, and i would be sitting in there. He shot at and missed my other neighbors sheep, He thought it was a deer. I saw it happened and started yelling from my stand. I found him one day crawling through my property wearing a brown Carhart suit with a white hat, I scared him when he crawled under my stand, he said he was trying to look like the deer, he is lucky im not an idiot and didnt blast him. (oh he was crawling through an amazingly thick creek bottom where i have stands up high and i still can only take 50 yard shots, on lanes that i cut, i have no idea how he was going to see them)

Bocajnala 11-25-2008 01:10 PM

Ive had a few close ones. One time we were putting on a deer drive, and a neighbor that wasn't really involved but saw that a drive was going came in and shot at a doe, the first shot missed and I heard "woosh" go right by me. I hit the ground and yelled my had off....other then that no close calls.
-Jake

kevin1 11-25-2008 01:40 PM

Not too much, hunting is still statistically one of the safest activities you can do. Jerking my wife's chain is a lot more risky. ;)

millagerobert 11-25-2008 01:53 PM

Nothing makes me more nervous than running into another hunter in the woods, never know whether to let them see me, or stay hidden. Also I have called in numerous hunters while elk hunting, and that really worries me since the idiots think they are stalking in on an elk, and last week rattled in a young guy from out of state, couldn't believe he came into me rattling. I usually start waving my arms and yell hey at guys when they come in to try and keep someone with an itchy trigger finger from shooting me, if someone did shoot at me they better get me on the first shot because I will most defenitly be shooting back.

RugerM77.270 11-25-2008 02:05 PM

I was dove hunting one time and had a dove land between me and another guy. He walked up and fluched the bird and ripped a row of corn out 3 ft to my right. I hit the ground and took a fetal position and he just laughed. Haven't been hunting with him since.

tenpointer65 11-25-2008 02:06 PM

I hunted public land my second year deer hunting......never again. Like it was said before it sounded like a war zone. Too many strangers in one area. I said I would never pay to hunt but I think I would pay rather than go back to public land hunting. Bow hunting is one thing but not gun.

MO-KS_hunter 11-25-2008 03:15 PM

Hunting my own private land I heard a very loud shot (like someone had the gun pointed toward me) and the sound of an angry bee slamming into a tree 50 yards or so behind me. Someone had to shoot across a fairly busy road to do that. There will always be dumba$$ hunters who don't think about the where their bullet will go after they pull the trigger. So yes,I worry.....

whitetailhunter10 11-25-2008 05:14 PM

I really don't think about that because I hunt on private land with no one else

remingtonshooter1 11-25-2008 05:18 PM

only when rattiling but i hunt on private land where everyone knows where your at

Centauri 11-25-2008 05:27 PM

I think of it, but I don't worry about it. 5 people were shot here in Wisconsin since Saturday, with 1 being fatal.

piketon_hunter#9 11-25-2008 07:15 PM

this is one thing i cant stand, i dont know how you could shoot someone or something without knowing exactly what it is, yet it happens every year. someone on my land without permission, shots or no shots, is the quickest way to get me into a fight... they ruin the sport for everyone else

bayou_buckslayer 11-26-2008 05:38 PM

We lease land but still I get the creeps But its hard to imagine ppl unidetifying their target....There r some foolish hunters out there......

patrioticfarmchick 11-26-2008 07:46 PM

Well, this season is my first- ever of deer huntin'. I hunt alone on my own land. The thought of getting shotis always at the back ofmy mind. But, I have my hunter orange on, and when (since I haven't gotten the chance yet) I get to aim at my target I will be dam*ed sure it's a deer.

Getting shot is part of a risk when you hunting. Not sayin' you will get shot, just saying there is always that freak accident that could happen to any one. Just like there is a chance of being in an accident every time you get into a car/truck and drive.

My .01 ;)

tkendall14 11-26-2008 08:22 PM

This actually just happened last week here in Tennessee. Reelfoot Lake's duck season opened the same day as a two day rifle hunt on a State WMA right next to Reelfoot. A guy was walking in to duck hunt that afternoon (not wearing orange because he was duck hunting) and he was walking across the State WMA to get to his blind. A hunter shot the guy walking to his blind with a rifle. The hunter took off, I guess in a state of panic, and left the guy laying there. The guy that got shot had a few other hunters with him and they got him to the hospital. It messed his arm up bad enough that they were going to have to amputate it and he had severe internal injuries. He stuck with it for about five days and died two days ago. He left behind a 9 year old son and 13 year old daughter. These things are NEVER good but if anything good can be drawn from the situation, it is that it opened up some eyes and made people realize that the guns they hunt with can kill people too.

907Alaska 11-26-2008 09:58 PM

Me and my dad were shot at in Arizona on public land, we were just getting ready to set up camp, back in those days my dad had a black Bronco, well the Bronco ended up with a couple of holes in the drivers door, we were not in it, the guy had the nerve to come on down and check out his bear kill. He actually thought he had a bear kill at 300yrds with his 30.06 He was suprised to say the least...moments like that are real scary...this is why nowadays, I get as far away from people as I can when I am on public land.

Cannonw24 11-26-2008 10:33 PM

You wanna here a bad story? Im not gonna name names but theres a guy in my town that had been seeing a huge buck in his neighbors field. Anyway this guy sets up on the fenceline on a full moon few hours before daylight. Pretty soon he sees a big object and a smaller object walking across the field, he thinks its the big buck hes been seeing and a doe. so he fires one off at the larger object. Winds up being his neighbor and his fiance.He shot the guy through the hips and the dude hit hte ground yelling and his fiance started screaming. Guy gets up goes home cleans his gun and gets back in the bed.(how sick is that) Guess what happened for his punishment? Lost his hunting license in that county for 5 years.THAT IS REDICULOUS! NEEDED JAIL TIME

stretch56 11-27-2008 04:57 AM

ditto

ORIGINAL: Ol JohnnyBoy

[:'(]If hunters would identify their targets this wouldn't be a problem. Some scumbags have ruined it for many ethical hunters. That's why I refuse to hunt on public land. I know accidents can happen anywhere but I think it happens more on public land than private.

remington_girl 11-27-2008 05:49 AM

Not here no, doesn't happen. Now in the US perhaps.

tsoc 11-27-2008 06:35 AM

I get concerned in some instances.While rifle hunting toward the end of the season on public land when many hunters are filling tags,where it may not matter what sex of deer they are shooting at.I hunt a lot in ASAT clothing and Enigma clothing which have a lot of light brown colors.I get most concerned about the inexperienced hunter with a lot of adrenaline going on.Having some bright red or hunter orange on is certainly not a bad idea.

aldo88 11-27-2008 07:11 AM

The only time I feared it is when a guy and his son pulled up on me. I started waving my arms and they lowered down. Oh yeah I was wearing all orange from head to boots(well not the boots...lol)

tschaef 11-27-2008 07:14 AM

Was dragging a caribou across a frozen lake in a sled in northern Quebec when a herd crossed the lake between me and another group of hunters. I was in full orange but the other group still fired into the herd! I dropped everything and ran for shore, when the shooting stopped and the herd was gone so was the other group, i would have loved to have caught up with those guys![:@]

lookingforthebigone 11-28-2008 11:26 AM

I have never really feared it but I have come close to it a few times. I do must of my hunting on public land and hunters dont always know you there. I have found it is alot saffer in the thickets. It is bound to hit a tree befor it gets to you. All my incounters with it coming close is in open fildes were to meat and there is a small tree line devieding them if you are in the field and some else is in the other ond you dont see them for the tree line and you do not know they are there. But I dont think you have to worey if ti were a problem yous would see it happen more often. Most people identify what they are shoting at befor the shot it the ones that dont know you around you need to think about. I tryto wave at everone I see wen I go to let them know Im around. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!