Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ever fear getting shot?

Old 11-25-2008, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Ever fear getting shot?

this is one thing i cant stand, i dont know how you could shoot someone or something without knowing exactly what it is, yet it happens every year. someone on my land without permission, shots or no shots, is the quickest way to get me into a fight... they ruin the sport for everyone else
Old 11-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

We lease land but still I get the creeps But its hard to imagine ppl unidetifying their target....There r some foolish hunters out there......
Old 11-26-2008, 07:46 PM

Well, this season is my first- ever of deer huntin'. I hunt alone on my own land. The thought of getting shotis always at the back ofmy mind. But, I have my hunter orange on, and when (since I haven't gotten the chance yet) I get to aim at my target I will be dam*ed sure it's a deer.

Getting shot is part of a risk when you hunting. Not sayin' you will get shot, just saying there is always that freak accident that could happen to any one. Just like there is a chance of being in an accident every time you get into a car/truck and drive.

My .01
Old 11-26-2008, 08:22 PM

This actually just happened last week here in Tennessee. Reelfoot Lake's duck season opened the same day as a two day rifle hunt on a State WMA right next to Reelfoot. A guy was walking in to duck hunt that afternoon (not wearing orange because he was duck hunting) and he was walking across the State WMA to get to his blind. A hunter shot the guy walking to his blind with a rifle. The hunter took off, I guess in a state of panic, and left the guy laying there. The guy that got shot had a few other hunters with him and they got him to the hospital. It messed his arm up bad enough that they were going to have to amputate it and he had severe internal injuries. He stuck with it for about five days and died two days ago. He left behind a 9 year old son and 13 year old daughter. These things are NEVER good but if anything good can be drawn from the situation, it is that it opened up some eyes and made people realize that the guns they hunt with can kill people too.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Me and my dad were shot at in Arizona on public land, we were just getting ready to set up camp, back in those days my dad had a black Bronco, well the Bronco ended up with a couple of holes in the drivers door, we were not in it, the guy had the nerve to come on down and check out his bear kill. He actually thought he had a bear kill at 300yrds with his 30.06 He was suprised to say the least...moments like that are real scary...this is why nowadays, I get as far away from people as I can when I am on public land.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Fork Horn

You wanna here a bad story? Im not gonna name names but theres a guy in my town that had been seeing a huge buck in his neighbors field. Anyway this guy sets up on the fenceline on a full moon few hours before daylight. Pretty soon he sees a big object and a smaller object walking across the field, he thinks its the big buck hes been seeing and a doe. so he fires one off at the larger object. Winds up being his neighbor and his fiance.He shot the guy through the hips and the dude hit hte ground yelling and his fiance started screaming. Guy gets up goes home cleans his gun and gets back in the bed.(how sick is that) Guess what happened for his punishment? Lost his hunting license in that county for 5 years.THAT IS REDICULOUS! NEEDED JAIL TIME
Old 11-27-2008, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ditto
ORIGINAL: Ol JohnnyBoy

[:'(]If hunters would identify their targets this wouldn't be a problem. Some scumbags have ruined it for many ethical hunters. That's why I refuse to hunt on public land. I know accidents can happen anywhere but I think it happens more on public land than private.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not here no, doesn't happen. Now in the US perhaps.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I get concerned in some instances.While rifle hunting toward the end of the season on public land when many hunters are filling tags,where it may not matter what sex of deer they are shooting at.I hunt a lot in ASAT clothing and Enigma clothing which have a lot of light brown colors.I get most concerned about the inexperienced hunter with a lot of adrenaline going on.Having some bright red or hunter orange on is certainly not a bad idea.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

The only time I feared it is when a guy and his son pulled up on me. I started waving my arms and they lowered down. Oh yeah I was wearing all orange from head to boots(well not the boots...lol)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.