Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ever fear getting shot?

Old 11-24-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ever fear getting shot?

Even wearing orange,I've had some close calls with road hunters stopping and backing up. And I just heard on the news tonight that it happened to someone. Story said he was coming out of the timber into a cut cornfield and got shot by someone unknown. I guess I just don't understand how someone just shoots before identifying their target. Feel bad for the guy and I hope they find whoever is responsible.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:15 PM
nap

Default RE: Ever fear getting shot?

I try not to think about it. And the reason being is i hunt public land.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:26 PM

I hunted some public land once , I will never do that again if I dont have to. There were gunshots going off everywhere, I felt like I was in the middle of a war. The funny thing about it was there were not that many deer being checked in. I think some people need to shoot their rifles more than just opening morning of rifle season. My 2 cents.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

[:'(]If hunters would identify their targets this wouldn't be a problem. Some scumbags have ruined it for many ethical hunters. That's why I refuse to hunt on public land. I know accidents can happen anywhere but I think it happens more on public land than private.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:21 AM

i have that slight fear every now and again. the first couple days of gun season thats about it
Old 11-25-2008, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt 500 acres and usually by myself so the likelyhood is low but I still take precautions. I hunt is an blaze vest at all times even when I'm not hunting I wear the vest till I lock the gate as I leave. Another thing I do is use my flashlight. Even if I can see fine because I got to the stand a littlelate I use my flashlight and every minute or so do a 360 with it so if someone else is out there by permission or otherwise they will see me and know that I am there.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

quite a few years ago a small boy was shot off his grandfathers lap while squirrel hunting here on public land. i don't know all the details but the grandfather was sitting on the edge of a dirt road (probably taking a break from squirrel hunting) with his grandson in his lap when another hunter (deer hunting) shot the grandson thinking he was a deer. i find this really hard to swallow knowing that there is antler restrictions where this happened at with no antlerless tags. meaning the hunter should have had to look closer at his "target" to make sure it was legal.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Spike

I don't hunt public lands.But we still have these idiots out in the woods that will shoot at any thing they think they see. That is why I go early before any one else gites in the woods and stay longer til they all go back to camp. I teach my grandson to be sure of his target and to make sure to check behind it to see if the area is all clear.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

Its alway in the back of my mind during the firearm season. Its a good reason to stay up in the stand instead of wandering.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ha-Ha first day in any state! I have hunted PA, OH and MI on the forstdays and it can get to look like the sorting goods depat. at Kmart w/ all the orange. I

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.