HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Ever fear getting shot? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/275300-ever-fear-getting-shot.html)

crenshaw 11-25-2008 01:04 PM

RE: Ever fear getting shot?

My neighbor used to have a guy that hunted and he was about the biggest piece of you know what I have ever seen. This guy shot my barn one afternoon why i was playing with my dog. He used to shoot down into my property from the field up above, and i would be sitting in there. He shot at and missed my other neighbors sheep, He thought it was a deer. I saw it happened and started yelling from my stand. I found him one day crawling through my property wearing a brown Carhart suit with a white hat, I scared him when he crawled under my stand, he said he was trying to look like the deer, he is lucky im not an idiot and didnt blast him. (oh he was crawling through an amazingly thick creek bottom where i have stands up high and i still can only take 50 yard shots, on lanes that i cut, i have no idea how he was going to see them)

Bocajnala 11-25-2008 01:10 PM

Ive had a few close ones. One time we were putting on a deer drive, and a neighbor that wasn't really involved but saw that a drive was going came in and shot at a doe, the first shot missed and I heard "woosh" go right by me. I hit the ground and yelled my had off....other then that no close calls.
-Jake

kevin1 11-25-2008 01:40 PM

Not too much, hunting is still statistically one of the safest activities you can do. Jerking my wife's chain is a lot more risky. ;)

millagerobert 11-25-2008 01:53 PM

Nothing makes me more nervous than running into another hunter in the woods, never know whether to let them see me, or stay hidden. Also I have called in numerous hunters while elk hunting, and that really worries me since the idiots think they are stalking in on an elk, and last week rattled in a young guy from out of state, couldn't believe he came into me rattling. I usually start waving my arms and yell hey at guys when they come in to try and keep someone with an itchy trigger finger from shooting me, if someone did shoot at me they better get me on the first shot because I will most defenitly be shooting back.

RugerM77.270 11-25-2008 02:05 PM

I was dove hunting one time and had a dove land between me and another guy. He walked up and fluched the bird and ripped a row of corn out 3 ft to my right. I hit the ground and took a fetal position and he just laughed. Haven't been hunting with him since.

tenpointer65 11-25-2008 02:06 PM

I hunted public land my second year deer hunting......never again. Like it was said before it sounded like a war zone. Too many strangers in one area. I said I would never pay to hunt but I think I would pay rather than go back to public land hunting. Bow hunting is one thing but not gun.

MO-KS_hunter 11-25-2008 03:15 PM

Hunting my own private land I heard a very loud shot (like someone had the gun pointed toward me) and the sound of an angry bee slamming into a tree 50 yards or so behind me. Someone had to shoot across a fairly busy road to do that. There will always be dumba$$ hunters who don't think about the where their bullet will go after they pull the trigger. So yes,I worry.....

whitetailhunter10 11-25-2008 05:14 PM

I really don't think about that because I hunt on private land with no one else

remingtonshooter1 11-25-2008 05:18 PM

only when rattiling but i hunt on private land where everyone knows where your at

Centauri 11-25-2008 05:27 PM

I think of it, but I don't worry about it. 5 people were shot here in Wisconsin since Saturday, with 1 being fatal.