Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer hunting over rated?

Old 11-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Spike

Default RE: Deer hunting over rated?

Like Okiegunnut said, hunting is not just about shooting something; it's about spending time in the woods, preferably with family and friends. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to do this until I was 43; and I all got on that trip was a fairly small hog (70 lbs).

However, by the next hunting season I had convinced my son, who was 15 at the time, to take his Hunting Safety class and to go to my next hunting trip with me. Since then we’ve taken one hunting trip together a year (for the last 4 years) and even though he has not harvested anything yet, he still looks forward to it. We've also introduced a couple of friends to hunting, both his friends and mine, whom we have brought along with us on these trips.

That’s what hunting is all about.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Spike

It would not be hunting/sport if it was easy.

Ilikenhunting to poker...you could be the best most prepared player at the table but sometimes the cards just work against you and you lose...but understand in the long run your skill/preparation will pay off and you willconsistentlywin the game or put yourself in situations where you score the big animal. Also do not make the mistake to think you know everything about hunting...time spent in the woods equals education. There is definitely an element of luck in hunting, great preparation can increase your chances but it is no guarantee.

btw...I think it is underrated...people do not appreciate how much work a days hunt takes.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Overrated?

Everytime I put a good shot on a deer, buck or doe,and watch it go down(which is not nearly as frequent as Id like), the 1st thing I say to myself is, " I cant believe only 10% of the population does this'' Honestly, there is nothing, and I mean NOTHING, I' d rather do in life , than be in my stand waiting for a deer to show up.

When I die, I want to be in the woods, with my 100 year old hands clenching the rack of a giant whitetail I just killed.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Better than sitting at home reading this site (no offense boyos)about it, kicking my self saying jeeze oh Pete I should be out there!
Old 11-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

Overrated? Definitely not. It's still way too much fun for me to call it overrated. Plus it's the one thing that my Dad, brother, brother-in-law and I all have in common.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Typical Buck

Its not overrated, its underrated. but if you feel that way, send me a list of what gear you own and I will be glad to take it off your hands and put it to good use.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Spike

Not at all. My best day was when my oldest son took his first deer. It took him 4 years but I was there every year till he got him. It's not just about the "kill". We hunters experience more that most will ever get to see. That is what hunting is all about for me. Not what I put up on my wall. That is just a plus.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

HELL NO! Hunt or die! Only two seasons in my book! Hunting season and waiting for hunting season!
Old 11-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

Do you think that deer hunting is over rated?? I'm starting to because i spent weeks before the season started scouting, putting out cameras, and putting out food for them. Also spent a day out in the tent a couple times to see how they were movin and saw about 10 deer. Then it comes down to opening day of gun season. Don't see one thing! Then you come on this site and see a ton of people but you with a deer. What do you guys think.... Is it over rated? [align=right][/align]
Asking that question on this site is like asking a crowd of fat people if doughnuts are overrated....ok that was a little mean [&:]
Old 11-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

hell no its fun and its better than working plus i love sitting in the woods even when i dont see anything just gives you some time to think and enjoy life.

Quick Reply: Deer hunting over rated?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.