Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Would you shoot a small buck 4 meat? >

Would you shoot a small buck 4 meat?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Would you shoot a small buck 4 meat?

Old 11-25-2008, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would you shoot a small buck 4 meat?

I put "yes, anytime" but with a caveat. I'm relatively new to deer hunting and have a taken a doe. The goal is a buck right now, and I would definitely shoot a forkhorn. I don't know about a spike.

My goal last year was a buck with at least two points on a side. I passed on a spike and then saw hunting season swallowed up by bad weather and a funeral. That turned out to be the only deer I saw in my limited hunting time, and I'm tempted to take a spike this year if one shows itself. Once I''m over the 1st buck threshhold, though, I'll let smaller spikes and forkhorns walk.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

Yes I would & I did shoot a 4 ptr this year.
Where me and my sons hunt, you have the first two days to make it happen, then the deer move only at night and are high-n-dry.
Whats the difference if you think you shoot a doe & it's a button buck?
Good meat and a story to tell--Yes Sir!!!

Old 11-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Dominant Buck

If it's worth the drag out the cap gets busted, I'm not a headhunter.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's freezer first in my household. Absolutely.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't imagine myself being in that position. But if for some odd reason, I wasn't allowed to have any doe tags and all I had was a buck tag, then late in the year I'd probably pop any buck that walked by. I hope my hunting situation never boils down to that though. Doe hunting is WAY too much fun.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

99% of the time I will not even consider shooting a small buck, but this year we ran into a unique situation. We hunt on about 18,000 acres of pretty wide open land, and we have probably seen 90% of the deer that live on this land. We filled four buck tags this year and we all shot nice mature bucks, but we really haven't seen very many does. Lots of fawns, lots of small bucks, and lots of bucks that will be shooters next year. I shot a nice buck with my rifle, and I still have a doe tag, as well as an any deer tag for my bow. I am considering shooting one of these smaller bucks, just because of what we have seen with the buck to doe ratio out here. Another reason is that the landowner wants the small bucks shot around his farm because they do the most damage to the trees (even though I think that most of the damage is already done for this year, but I understand his point). So yes if I get the opportunity to shoot a small buck this fall around the farm, with my bow, I will take it.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

i have a hard time shootingyoung bucks i'd rather take a doe first, but if it was the last day and i had zero meat in the freezer thats a different story.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting a young buck is counter productive to any kind of management plan.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Spike

Yes I would and do.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

The population is quite high in my part of Ontario so I have no concerns that way. The group of men that comprise our hunt camp are out there to fill the freezer so my answer was "yes, anytime."

Quick Reply: Would you shoot a small buck 4 meat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.