Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Would you shoot a small buck 4 meat? >

Would you shoot a small buck 4 meat?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Would you shoot a small buck 4 meat?

Old 11-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would you shoot a small buck 4 meat?

nope. i guess ill have to find another food source
Old 11-26-2008, 09:46 AM
Typical Buck

last day of season, empty freezer and here comes Mr. Spike horn? Oh yeah, that little guy is in trouble haha. Like most said it would be my preference to shoot a doe for freezer meat, but a small buck would taste just as good. I understand the QDM guys who say let them grow but to be honest i think getting too wrapped up in antler size takes some of the joy out of hunting, but that's just my two cents. Although before this season my brother and I made an informal rule that you can shoot whatever buck makes you happy, BUT if you are going to shoot another buck he has to be bigger then the last one. So if you shoot a fork horn during bow season you can't shoot a spike with the rifle or muzzleloader. But that is about as close to QDM as we get haha.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gmil6184

last day of season, empty freezer and here comes Mr. Spike horn? Oh yeah, that little guy is in trouble haha. Like most said it would be my preference to shoot a doe for freezer meat, but a small buck would taste just as good. I understand the QDM guys who say let them grow but to be honest,i think getting too wrapped up in antler size takes some of the joy out of hunting but that's just my two cents. Although before this season my brother and I made an informal rule that you can shoot whatever buck makes you happy, BUT if you are going to shoot another buck he has to be bigger then the last one. So if you shoot a fork horn during bow season you can't shoot a spike with the rifle or muzzleloader. But that is about as close to QDM as we get haha.
YUP
Old 11-26-2008, 12:11 PM

IF IT'S BROWN IT'S DOWN........
Old 11-26-2008, 01:17 PM

The small bucks all get a pass from me. I hunt mostly for meat and enjoyment, and while I don't specifically hunt larger bucks, I'd be less than honest if I did not admit to thoroughly enjoying the sight of a large buck out in the woods. You can't see the big ones if you shoot the little ones. I can always find something else to eat if need be.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Fork Horn

Yep, I would.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:23 PM
Spike

Better eating for me lol I take them if i see em
Old 11-26-2008, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope and my state of MO is slowly making that very thing illegal. About 4yrs ago they started a 4 on one side to be legal law in the central part of the state and are slowly adding surrounding counties as years pass.