Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Small Deer

Old 11-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Spike

Default Small Deer

I was at the Butcher/processor last night.
to drop off a deer.
guy brings in 5 deer Biggest 109lbs
The smallest 59lbs!!!!!! I say Idiot.
I am sure he is a work this morning saying they got 5 deer this weekend. (yeah all the size of dogs))

Why would you shoot a deer that small. size of a german shepard.

This is my daughters first hunting season.
I don't care if it was 10 yards away i would not let her shoot something that small.
Any thoughts.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Small Deer

I guess its all relative to where you hunt. I hunt the pinelands region of southern New Jersey where a mature deer in 100-120 lbs range is the norm. Im sure it has alot to do with genetics, nutritional food sources, etc..
Old 11-24-2008, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

people eat deer meat, pretty simple. If that is your source of food, you kill them.
-Jake
Old 11-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Little deer eat real good. I like veal AND I like yearlings.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

I'd much rather eat a 80lb yearling than a 250 lb buck.

It all depends on why you hunt. That's his choice, not yours. I think you should work on respecting other people's choices.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

What gives you or anyone the right to look down on anyone that takes any deer legally?

Would I shoot that 59 pound deer? My answer is absolutely no, but that does not allow me to pass judgement on another hunter that makes a different decision than me.

Just my 2 cents!
Old 11-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigangrychicken

I'd much rather eat a 80lb yearling than a 250 lb buck.

It all depends on why you hunt. That's his choice, not yours. I think you should work on respecting other people's choices.
Bingo. I'll glady shoot a 59lb doe. It's like eating cotton candy.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:56 AM

I would rather someone shoot small deer for meat as opposed to shooting small bucks. where I live in Northern Michigan a small deer has less of a chance at making it through the winter then a deer that is mature. So if it is legal then it makes more sense to shoot the yearlings. To many people put to much into only shooting bucks around here. So they go out and shoot spikes and four points, put the meat in the freezer and the antlers in a box in the garage. I to have been guilty of the same thing untill it dawned on me that it makes more sense to shoot a doe or fawn for meat and let the small boy grow to be big bucks.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Typical Buck

I would agree about taking small deer for your table if you do the processing yourself. This guy did not. I am not sure what processing cost in your areas but where I am from, it is anywhere from $55 to $75 for straight butchering. Add in your license fees and equipment costs and that 59 lbs deer that will yeild about 20-25 lbs of meat just cost you about $5.00/lbs. You can buy a 1/2 beef for a lot less then that. I'd guess it was shooting just too be shooting. I see that alot more then apoor old guy that is scrapping dirt with the chickens to put food on his table. Just being honest.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:05 AM

If you really think about it venison is the most expensive meat we use. After all the equipment and license fees,food plots, travel,and vacation time i would hate to add up the cost per pound but I'm sure I could eat alot of filet mignon.But I would'nt have it any other way.

Quick Reply: Small Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.