Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how many bucks../

Old 11-24-2008, 06:20 AM
Spike

Default how many bucks../

Ok, I have access to hunt 30 acres of some over 100 acres. Where I hunt there is sign of rubs and scrapes all over. But I only see a little spike 4 pt buck. Do you think there is another bigger buck in the area? I cant amagine the 4 pt to make some of the rubs that are pretty big. anyone have any thoughts?? I have tried grunting, rattling, and a can call, but nothing.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how many bucks../

A buck's range is much larger than 30 or even 100 acres. That means your 30 acres is probably included in the range of at least one big buck, maybe several. During the rut, bucks can travel miles, so your chance is probably as good on your 30 acres as it is on any 30 acres. Hunt it as effectively as you can. Try to make as small of an impact as you can. In other words sneak in and out. Maybe a big buck will pass through there. The good news is that you have big buck sign on the 30 acres, so they frequent there. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:41 AM

i can almost bet that the big one is comin through at dark
Old 11-24-2008, 09:09 AM
Spike

We have set out a trail cam and on it we only have the spike and some does...i am thinking i am in the wrong location. Also, there is a small thicket with an old dry pond and then nothing but high tall grasses around us. There are some trails mowed into the grass, but a couple of low spots as well..i took a nice 11 pointer 2 years ago that we have never seen, that came out from bedding in the tall grass right before dusk.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

that pond sounds key here... a nice protected spot. I would set up somewhere where you can get a shot into there, without disturbing that area. Bucks are coming through, especially with the rut coming in they willl be travleing a lot. Spend time in the woods, you'll see something in there.
-jake
Old 11-25-2008, 06:18 AM
Spike

Yeah, there are a couple of rubs in the pond area and leading out of there, but my father has a stand on one side of the pond with his back side to it, and he hasnt heard or seen anything but a doe in there...if he is going through at dark, how do i intercept him?
Old 11-25-2008, 08:10 AM
Spike

the pic is where i have access to hunt currently. We cannot hunt the whole area because some jack off keeps getting closer and closer to us and thinks he runs the place when he doesnt..hope it helps..
Old 11-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

persistence is key. don't hunt the area in a wrong wind. a bad wind will keep the deer away or bedded until after dark.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Spike

For the last two years, i've set up cameras on nice big rubs and the "only" buck I've seen actually rub an existing rub was a little 2 pt with ONE antler.
This year I had a lot of scrape activity. I had many bucks on camera with many of them coming back time and time again. Last Saturday, opening gun season, none of us saw a buck and the does came and went quickly. We hunted long and quiet. Sunday, nothing. Sunday night it snowed. No tracks to be seen on Monday. I shall persist, however.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

more than likley

Quick Reply: how many bucks../

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.