Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

no deer in two weeks

Old 11-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: no deer in two weeks

you think tghey will come back to the original spot?
Old 11-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was being sarcastic.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

oh my bad

H
titleAndStar(760,0,false,false,"","")Shooter Buck

[align=center][/align]
Status: online you think tghey will come back to the original spot?
Old 11-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Spike

Copied from a reply to a different but sim post--long story short, get out of your blind and stalk. SLOW

Well...I agree that the opening weekend stunk, but with a little different opinon on why. We hunt in Polk county on the NW side of the state. We are avid Bow hunters as well as rifle. This year, up till this weekend, we have seen more big deer than many of the prior years and saw more bucks during bow season than ever before. We saw plenty of "shooters", basically three years old or greater up to this weekend.

However, come Saturday....almost a complete reversal. Perfect weather (cool, cloudy and little wind)but no deer moving. While we don't always get nice deer, we sometimes do and usually see a lot more than we just did. We also heard a LOT less shots around us. We usually joke that Saturday morning is like WWIII. Not this year.

We also talked to the local registration station and they too were off dramatically, close to 40% less deer registered.

I think it had to do with the rut and what stage it is in. I do not believe that the DNR is misleading us, at least not in parts of the states I know well or friends in mine hunt.

Basically, the peak action in our part of the state usually occurs around the 4th - 7th of Nov. This year it was a week later. The main action happened the 14th and 15th. This was also noted by many of the other hunters in our area. With the peak taking place just a week before the gun opener, the timing would be "just right" for bucks to just lie down with does - in essence the peak breeding time.

Thinking about this, and sick of seeing literally no deer where I typically see quite a bit and get a buck opening day (75% of the time), I got out of my stand and still hunted starting 1:00pm Sunday.

I really took my time, probably covering 100 yards an hour. Made as little noise as possible and glassed every nook and cranny over and over and went straight up wind. 3 hours later, I got within 25 yards of 9 bedded deer, including two bucks. I got an 8-pointer and they had almost no idea I was there.

Today, my father-in-law took this tactic in a different part of our land and got a real nice 2 1/2 year old. He said he barley moved 350 yards in 4 hours.

So, I think the deer are simply lying down. It makes sense given what we have seen as well as what we have reas/learned about the phases of the rut.

In WI, this next weekend could be fun as they get up and move again.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats how its been here, except its been all season for me.

I know last season at this time the deer were everywhere, but now we are lucky to see one deer during a hunt. Right now I think the main reason is the bucks are locked down with the does, because hardly anyone is seeing does around either. I know gun season really puts pressure on the deer and we just ened our 3 week rifle season here. So it can be a number of factors.

All I keep hearing is how many button bucks are roaming around, which is a very good clue that the does are being bred since they run off their male fawns to prevent inbreeding so I have heard.

Just sit tight, and maybe scout around and find some late season food sources. Good luck!
Old 11-24-2008, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

would pouting out corn be smart?
Old 11-24-2008, 06:21 PM
Spike

If you want a buck, no. If you just want to see deer, maybe. If you are using the same stand over and over, you are really hurting yourself.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah i use same blind over and over................. i guess that my problem i need to move around more
Old 11-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Spike

Learn to stalk/still hunt. It is VERY enjoyable, but, you have to be patient and carefull, otherwise, you will see deer, but only their flags as they hightail it out. Think no noise, into the wind, glass EVERYTHING, move 4 feet, glass again. 100 yards in one hour is a good rule-of-thumb. Thicker terrain the better.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

isnt that hard to do with a bow?

Quick Reply: no deer in two weeks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.