Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How was your opening Wisconsin gun hunt? >

How was your opening Wisconsin gun hunt?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How was your opening Wisconsin gun hunt?

Old 11-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How was your opening Wisconsin gun hunt?

i actually took 2 does on saturday and a doe today. my buddies son got his first buck and we saw another 10 or so doe.i have heard that numbers are down though.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Typical Buck

I had a really great opening weekend. I was fortunate enough to take good bucks both mornings, and used both buck tags that I had from last year as well as taking a doe Sunday morning around 10:30 to have a tag that will be good for next year. Good luck to those who haven't been seeing much, I hope things turn around for you.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:58 AM

Had a pretty good opening weekend. We have 6 people in our group and ended up with 7 deer, 5 does and 2 bucks. I got 2 does on Saturday at 11am. Six does came walking down a trail about 100 yards out, stopped, I put the biggest one in my scope and shot, two took off and four stayed. So, I took a shot at a second and they took off. Went down to where they were, just off the trail was the second deer I shot and about 30 yards in was the cow of a doe I shot first. The first does was about 140lbs dressed and the second was 100lbs dressed. Good Luck to everyone else for the rest of the season.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

First off how do you get 2 buck tags in WI? You are only issued ONE gun buck tag. Nice bucks I just hope someone else tagged one of them.

I saw 10 bucks Saturday. One was a 140 class 8 pointer. I didn't have a perfect shot so I held off. I'd rather shoot him with the bow anyway. I think I saw over 30 deer Saturday so it isn't bad everywhere.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

isaw six deer saterday and nothing sunday
Old 11-24-2008, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

cmscat50. You get a buck tag for every doe you shoot in EAB areas.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Handles

You get a buck tag validation sticker for every doe you shoot in EAB areas. This must be affixed to a valid buck tag. As far I understand it, you could take a buck with an Archery Buck tag and another with a Gun Buck tag (and perhaps a third with a Muzzleloader tag but I think that falls under Gun). Tags themselves do not carry over year to year but the stickers do carry over one year.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:50 AM

Our weekend at our place wasn't too bad. I shot a 2 does, one on Saturday and one on Sunday. I saw a couple other does and fawns and a spike. Our camp got 4 deer total so not too bad.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

No, you get a buck tag VALIDATION for each doe you shoot in EAB units. You still are issued only ONE buck tag for firearm season. The only way you can legally tag 2 bucks is if you also archery hunt.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/news/DNRNews_Lookup.asp?id=145#art1
Day 1 State report. Some places did well, others did not. I know that in our party most of the guys were out of the woods by 10:30-11:00 because of the cold rather than at noon, and didn't go back out until 2:30 or so. Less time in the woods means fewer chances.

Quick Reply: How was your opening Wisconsin gun hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.