Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How was your opening Wisconsin gun hunt? >

How was your opening Wisconsin gun hunt?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How was your opening Wisconsin gun hunt?

Old 11-22-2008, 05:08 PM
nap

Default How was your opening Wisconsin gun hunt?

Me and my dad went out hunting this morning for opening gun season in Wisconsin. We hunt right on the edge of a fields looking over knee high grass, a stream, and a corn field. we had all the right signs and thought we did pretty good. guess not. went out all day.... An half hour before opening and stayed out till closing. Didn't see anything but squirrels. All around us we heard shots all around us but not where we were. I'm really pissed. How was everyone else opening Wisconsin hunt?
Old 11-22-2008, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How was your opening Wisconsin gun hunt?

Mine was horrible...The DNR needs to reevaluate whoever is counting deer numbers. There arent as many deer as they say there are. They need to stop all of this herd control at least around me. Hopefully everyone did better than me though
Old 11-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

I was in my stand 45 minutes before shooting, stayed until 10, which was as long as I could with as cold as it was. Got back in my stand by 12:45 and stayed until the end. I saw 5 or 6 squirrels. Ugh.

I heard a lot of shooting in the area but nothing came by me. I know the area is good but nothing today.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Spike

i shot my doe around 11 am.
i heard the ppl to the north east of me shooting so i got ready and then i saw a doe runing straight at me from the east i looked for shooting lane and she never came to it. i looked back and all i could see was her breath. i followed it to her hiding in some thick brush, but she was looking right at me about 30yd. i shot her in the neck and she run 20 yd and jumped the creek and double over. doe # 3 and and deer #5 in my hunting career.
Old 11-22-2008, 07:32 PM

ORIGINAL: huntinboy1122

Mine was horrible...The DNR needs to reevaluate whoever is counting deer numbers. There arent as many deer as they say there are. They need to stop all of this herd control at least around me. Hopefully everyone did better than me though
same here man actully regulating how many deer were taking off our land their just not their saw one today
Old 11-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was hunting up in Lake Tomahawk, and the hunting was just horrible. On Saturday, I saw nothing at all, except blue jays, but my dad's friend shot a nice little 6 pointer at 4:30 PM. Today I saw 2 does out of range running on top of a hill, and that was it.

Me and my dad stopped in at the registration station in L. Tom to check on the number of registered deer, and weheard that it was down 50 PERCENT last year. Unbelievable, just totally unbelievable. Almost every deer track I saw had wolf or coyote prints right behind it. The DNR has to stop them, and eradicate wolves again.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Me and my dad went out all day yesterday he got a shot off at a little spike at about 8:30a.m. but missed. I saw does all day went on a little push about 1:30p.m. to try to push something to my dad was pushing a bunch of does right at him when 2 bucks came from the other direction a big 8 and an even bigger 10 I shot the 8 before I even noticed the 10 was behind him. The shot didn't even scare the 10 he just looked at me and carried on his marry way no flag no running nothing. The only thing he did was stopped to smell the 8 that was down right in front of him.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:42 PM
Spike

I hunted in zone 56 - Juneau County - Necedah Wildlife Refuge

Out of 11 hunters in our group we got (1) little buck.

8 hunters in the group saw no deer! and theoverall gun shots heard in the area was much less than prior seasons.

Last year our results were about the same. I think we got 2 or 3 deer in 2007

The Necedah Refuge does have a very large wolf pack but thats only a small piece of the problem in my opinion.

We have hunters in our group that have hunted my particular spot for over 30 years,and with the stories these old timers tell at camp I can assure anyone, including these DNR idiots that the deer counts are way off!

These Old Timers in my group talk of the "old days" when maybe 1 guy in camp had a doe tag and everyone else only had buck tags. Hell! between myself and my wife we have 4 friggin doe tags this year. We have guys in the state using these tags and even buying more. Its hurtin the population BIG time!

Chronic Wasting??? laughs. this disease just all the sudden popped up in the state hun? I just dont buy it, but Ill give it to ya DNR. great excuse to reduce your so called 1.6 million count herd or whatever your saying it is up to now. go hunt once and see how many deer you see!

I have all the same complaints as every other hunter I ran into this weekend but the most important concern I have...

"Take a kid hunting!!!"

we have all heard this before and its great! get these kids outta the house and away from video games, computers and TVs. or worse yet, drugs and violence.

but with a opening weekend I just had... 8 out of 11 guys didnt even see a deer!

how in the hell do I keep a 12 year old kid interested in hunting when they dont see anything?????

Old 11-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kanes, you are absolutely right. I'm 14, and I've never shot a deer, so I can relate to your son. I hear the "take a kid hunting, so they get off of the video games, and stay away from drugs," and other stuff of the like, but whats the point if you don't see anything?

I really think we should let the DNR know that a "traditional hunt" (Which is what they said about this year's hunting season) DOES NOT mean that you sit for hours, and don't see anything, and we also have to let them know that wolves can't be their priority. Its all they care about. They admitted that they failed in stopping CWD, and they failed in stopping invasive species. You don't hear them finding a solution, you just hear them talk about wolves.
Old 11-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: huntinboy1122

Saw one doe....running it's a$$ off. Sat thru killer temps for nearly 12 hours both days for that.

Heard ya there. These numbers aren't even close. Talked with a guy on saturday night who says he knows the DNR is fudging the numbers high to get a higher kill and lessen the auto/deer collision rates in the states. Says the big insurance companies are washing some hands in Madison. Wouldn't surprise me.

I'll be trying down here this week....up near Eau Claire was terrible.

Quick Reply: How was your opening Wisconsin gun hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.