HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Buck in a Barge! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/274932-buck-barge.html)

TristateHunter.com 11-22-2008 04:16 PM

Buck in a Barge!

Today was a dayof firsts... I am working midnights (7 pm to 7 am) on a towboat.. Last night.. I pick up a empty barge..well.. not quite emty..it had a 8 point buck in it!! it apparently had jumps off the wall of off loader facility.. and landed on cold hard steel instead of the water [&o]. About a 15 to 18 foot drop. it must have landed on its face.. as its nose was bloodied.. and it broke off one antler. but it survived the fall! I had no idea they were that tough.. I felt really bad for the poor fella. as for two hours while in rout to the landing with the barge i watch him completely exhaust himself trying to jump out of the barge.. I get to the landing and make my first drop.. call the dispatcher at 5 am... Told him I did not want to deliver the next drop.. as there was a live buck in the hopper and asked what to do. well.. He and I could not think of anyway of getting him out without causing more harm than good.. so he called the DNR.. who instructed him to kill the deer.. no one wanted to do it I was hoping someone would come a tranq it to get it out.. but no.. it was put down , sad way for a nice buck like that to go[&o]
I took a pic while it was resting in the hopper after its frantic running and jumping.. will post it when the battery charges back up on the cam.

1shotkill1993 11-22-2008 04:19 PM

RE: Buck in a Barge!

That's weird.

trevorpt 11-22-2008 05:10 PM

that stinks... did you get to keep the rack (or whats left of it?)

jayman035 11-22-2008 06:36 PM

what a shame it ended that way.

TristateHunter.com 11-23-2008 06:38 AM

ORIGINAL: trevorpt

that stinks... did you get to keep the rack (or whats left of it?)

yes.. I used some handy line to get the antler he broke off.. it was intact.. broke right off the skull.. this morning.. the guy who took the deer.. brought me the other half.

As promised.. here is the pic of it.. sorry for the low light.. it was just before daylight and my flash was not too effective at the range.

johnnybravoo77 11-23-2008 07:12 AM

Thats pretty crazy.

crutch 11-23-2008 07:52 AM

May be able to see it better with this pic!

1shotkill1993 11-23-2008 08:50 AM

Whoa, he was still alive??!!!!!

Full Blown Rut 11-23-2008 08:50 AM

thats horrible man..... poor thing

TurkeyStalker 11-26-2008 02:56 AM

That really is horrible.