Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Wow I must have turn cold blooded. I about froze to death >

Wow I must have turn cold blooded. I about froze to death

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wow I must have turn cold blooded. I about froze to death

Old 11-23-2008, 03:41 AM

Default RE: Wow I must have turn cold blooded. I about froze to death

It could be multiple factors that made you cold that day.

Clothing wasn't clean, or they were wet.

Don't wear jeans on top of thermals. The heavy cotton traps moisture preventing the thermals from expelling anymore moisture. This includes cotton clothing on the upper torso also.

Poor diet the day of and prior to hunting. Have you eaten less that day and before? What about warm liquids that you can take with you? Coffee, hot cocoaand hot soup is the best. Hyrdation the day before and during is critical. Stay away from caffein and carbonated drinks.

Had that happen to me last year. I was wearing clothing rated for -15 F, and the temp was 6 F, walked the 50 yds to my tree stand, and I was cold in 20 minutes.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:56 AM

i froze to death saturday mornin my self
Old 11-23-2008, 08:56 AM

ORIGINAL: needmorecoffee

Clothing wasn't clean, or they were wet.

Don't wear jeans on top of thermals. The heavy cotton traps moisture preventing the thermals from expelling anymore moisture. This includes cotton clothing on the upper torso also.

Poor diet the day of and prior to hunting. Have you eaten less that day and before? What about warm liquids that you can take with you? Coffee, hot cocoaand hot soup is the best. Hyrdation the day before and during is critical. Stay away from caffein and carbonated drinks.
All my clothes had just been washed a couple days prior. thanks for the not of that on the thermals. I've never been cold before wearing thembut I'll keep that in mind.I'm getting apear of the fleece type heavyscentlok pants from GanderMt in a few weeks sohopefully that will help as well. Diet wise I didn't have anything hot but I hardly ever carry any warm liquids. I was in a hurry and just ate a big bowl of cheerios instead of my usual biscuit, gravy, bacon, etc so that might have made a difference. And I don't drink any kind of soda, energy drinks, etc. Justjuice, milk, water. I may have to take me some hot chocolate next weekend though if itdon't warm up.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

i live in canada so this happens a lot lol
Old 11-23-2008, 02:10 PM

Think like your quarry.....Do I want to be on the cold side of the mountain or do I want to be on the sunny side of the mountain???