Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Illinois opening day???

Old 11-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Illinois opening day???

How was opening day action in your area?
Where Im at in central Illinois it seemed slow to me. Heard very few shots this morning and none this evening. I talked to a buddy jsut a bout ten miles west and he reports thesame--alot fewer shots heard this year
Old 11-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Illinois opening day???

Man I heard shooting all day. I did a rare thing and missed a big 12 first thing but made up for it tonight with shooting a really nice 9 point.. passed on 4 does and 2 other bucks.. Cold and lots of movement.. I'm in SW IL..
Old 11-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why i've become a bowhunter...

I remember opener being gun crazy....I wonder if just many more bowhunters...and guys managing the herd more...but last few years seemed less shots.

But I'm not even out this year, again....bow season always seems to be hotter than just about any day of shotgun....
Old 11-21-2008, 08:02 PM

Slow with no movement---heard very few shots. Perfect weather conditions, just no deer movement and don't know why? Hope we aren't already on "lockdown".
Old 11-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

Up here in Northern IL it's SLOW unless you are a doe hunter. I've had 50 [no exageration] killable does under me in the last 2 days including bow hunting on Thursday. I have yet to see a buck. Not even a spike!!!!!! This state really screwed the gun hunters this year by having the season a week later. At least up here.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

In Monroe county they are falling left and right. I have seen lots of bucks taken. 4 on the farm I hunt just yesterday. 2 this morning. Cousins in Jefferson County have taken several nice ones as well. Father in law over in St. Clair county shot an 8, him and is daughter seen 3 bucks moving this morning..

I guess it just depends on where you are because I have seen and heard of a lot of movement. Although my wife didn't see any deer yesterday from a stand she usually sees them from. I dunno..
Old 11-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

There were a few nice ones killed in Crawford County. I know the last few days of bow season leading up to this weekend the bucks were really locked down with does. The bucks I did see where by themselves working the woods real slow searching for the next hot doe. We are in the breeding phase right now.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:07 AM
Fork Horn

They are ruttin in St. Clair County. Deer were on the move all day yesterday.
My oldest son & me both killed 6 ptrs.
Where we hunt we have 1-2 days to get after it, then they really hide out and move at night.
I saw probably 10-15 deer on the opener.
Back out this PM to sit with my youngest son.
Pretty dang cold here too.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy and I have taken a few deer so far. We have rally not seen that much action in 2 days. Besides a few doesand a couple forkies, we have not seen any nice bucks. It seems that either fewer hunters are out or the deer just aren't moving like in the past. There is still a lot of corn up so that probably isn't helping things either. One more day to go and then I can get some good sleep. We are hunting NW Illinois in Jodavies county...
Old 11-24-2008, 06:38 PM

in pke county i saw no deer from the stand, but when i got back up to the house, my neighbros walked out of their spot on the othe side of the 80 acres, and i saw 11 deer walk right by them..not spooked, and just about every 20 mins wed go outside to pee or somthing and therd be a deer staring from the other side of the crp field...but i finally got one sunday morning about 730-very small, good eatin , button buck (didnt know it), but yeah he was running in circles around my stand trying to find that scent i out out, literally SPRINTINGIN CIRLES no more than 40 yds

Quick Reply: Illinois opening day???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.