Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Snow/rain hunting

Old 11-21-2008, 06:59 PM
nap

Default Snow/rain hunting

Do you hunt in the snow or rain? If you do, do you see more bucks then when it doesn't snow or rain.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Snow/rain hunting

if you have the chance to hunt right before a bigg rain or snow that is coming... sumtimes i think for it to be the best cause they will be hitting the food sources.... from what ive learned might not do it in your area tho!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: nap

Do you hunt in the snow or rain? If you do, do you see more bucks then when it doesn't snow or rain.

before a rain/snow yes, after yes, during, go home and get warm or to your truck and get warm.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:45 AM
Fork Horn

I'll stay in my stand if it's a light rain and I've always been told that deer like to get up and walk around soon as it starts snowing. If it's a big storm they'll get up after it lets up.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope for storms coming before i hit my spot. The deer start feeding and moving early as they want to hunker down during. During a storm I will still hunt them in the beds. I mean still hunt maybe 100 yeards in 1-1 1/2 hours. I can stay warm and cozy when I'm old and can't lift the darn gun!
Old 11-22-2008, 07:10 AM
Fork Horn

i've hunted in the snow once and saw a 1.5 yearold buck out of range(i was bowhunting)and hunted in the rain twice and seen nothing
Old 11-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: saulthunter

i've hunted in the snow once and saw a 1.5 yearold buck out of range(i was bowhunting)and hunted in the rain twice and seen nothing
before/after are better odds.

not to say you WONT see a deer in rain/snow storm but ole sproul has been at this for 47 years, i keep a log book yet from 1971 to now on my hunting and fishing and very few deer i shot or saw during a rain or snow.

last 10 years i have not been out in storm,but i check hunters etc that are OUT in my area and VERY few see a deer then ,yet they stayed out soaking wet.

last year, i shot my buck at 8;30 am before the storm.

those out of town hunters are die hards, they stayed in their stands ALL day in that heavy rain.

i talked to them on tuesday, mosthad HEAD COLDS and did not see a DEER.

now remember, THIS IS FIRST DAY OF DEER WHEN LOTS OF HUNTERS ARE IN WOODS MOVING DEER AROUND TOO.

just think what it would be on days after first day WHEN the number of hunters are down and deer are not PUSHED.

ODDS are you will have very less sighting of deer.

i use this to PLAN my hunts, i dont sit for LONG HRS,i plan.........

i hunt the BEST times in the BEST weather odds.

i watch the WEATHER more than i watch the CHANCE OF STAYING IN YOUR SPOT ALL DAY.

trust me, if you PLAN ,there is no need to sit all day in stand or spot unless you are comfortable doing it.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:51 PM

I've noticed lower elevations I see alot in rain, Snow I usually see alot more movement. I hunted in about 4 flat out thunderstorms last season and about 75% of the total time in the woods in 07 I was rained on. But I had deer movin.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Spike

The largest buck I have ever seen was just after a heavy snow and just before dark. It was the opening day of rifle for Michigan and wanted to get my wife into hunting. Never got a shot at it (I could've, but I won't take a shot unless I am confident enough that I will make a good shot), but was a beautiful deer through the binoculars!
Old 11-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

I sat for 11 hours last weekend for opening day in NY in the pouring rain and saw a button buck around 11 oclock.He bedded about 100 yards away from me under a pine tree and stayed there til 3 oclock.He didnt like being out there any more than i did.Next year if its raining like that im staying home.

Quick Reply: Snow/rain hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.