Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Ever be tip toe'ing in the woods... >

Ever be tip toe'ing in the woods...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ever be tip toe'ing in the woods...

Old 11-20-2008, 05:49 PM

Default RE: Ever be tip toe'ing in the woods...

haha..I cant begin to count how many stumps and clumps of tall brown weeds have morphed into deer right before my eyes in low light...and the harder i look at them the more "deer like" they seem to get...

glad its not only me LOL
Old 11-20-2008, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Had a screech owl scream at dusk in the woods when I was setting my stand up. I couldn't run faster.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

The woods i use to hunt had a creek running threw it and i always use it to get to my stand . I might add i don't use a flashlight just use the light of the creek to get me where I'm going .Anyway one night i was was walking down the creek way past dark with my bow in hand when i heard yotes on both sides of the woods , I mean they where yapping like crazy .Talk about putting the hairs up on your neck. I continued walking but with one hand on my knife ready to pull it if i had to.Once out of the creek i had to walk a long field to get to my truck I had my eyes looking everywhere and my ears wide open for any sound coming towards me, I finally made it to the truck got in and let out a big breath thank god . If you let your mind run wild it can scare the hell out of you.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:42 PM

Two years ago my dad was sitting in a stand near mine, he heard a deer walking behind him so he was watching to see what it was when all of a sudden two wolves about 50 yards on both sides of him were running full speed towards this and two more wolves were trailing inbetween the other wolves, they were funneling the deer. He heard them crash away from him but never heard if they got it, Im sure they did (wolves are intense) ever since then i have that feeling every time I go out to my stand. We have bears in our area too but they dont scare me as much as wolves
Old 11-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

yea human imagination is a fickle beast.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: needmorecoffee

enroute to your stand, when you hear something behindyou and scares the heck out of ya? Had that happen this morning.
I was walking down my normal trail with my mind off in La La land, thinking to myself what a nice morning it is. Closely resembles the cold winter morning you see in the scenes of "Christmas Story". The fresh snow was crunching under my goliath boots when I heard "another" heavier crunch behind me. I wheeled around on my heel at the same time yelling WTF, slipping and falling on my arse in the snow. My heart was thumping with adrenaline and fear. Quickly scrambiling to my feet and ready to shoot whatever it was, I had seen nothing.

Anyone else ever have the something like that happen?
Sounds like something under the snow, that you stepped on, popped back up.
Really it was Big Foot following you.

When I was 23 I was squirrel hunting.
I was walking on a old logging road.
I came to a cyrcle about 20 yards around.
A big oak tree in the middle.
A squirrel was in it.
It kept running to the other side.
I walked around 3 times.
The last time I came back around, A Giant Doe, and 2 other does jumped up at my feet and ran.
I scared the you know out of me.
I walked right up to them at least 5 or 6 times.
I was looking up, and didn't see them laying there.
After I got over that, I went back with my bow.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:37 PM

This thread is absolutely hilarious.

I hunt on a family friend's multi-hundred acre farm, and he has a rather large herd of cows and a few bulls that roam free on the land. They tend to stay either in the corn fields, in the winter, or near one of the various barns. Typically I hunt out of one of these barns, because they offer protection from the wind,a blind effect, and a window or hole in the wall to pop my rifle out of.

On my most recent excursion the owner had moved a piece of equipment in front of my hole, about four feet from the wall. I couldn't complain, it wasn't my barn, and it was a private farm to hunt on. I crouched, cramped in sub-freezing weather, in front of the hole, propping up my rifle. The herd had been moving around the barn, their mooing and munching was pretty loud. I sort of saw this as an advantage, their noises covering up most of my quieter noises. The deer were used to the cows at this point.

After about an hour and a half of not moving in the cold, I had mostly forgotten about theherd, and Ifelt a bit... uncomfortable, to say the least. I started to shift my weight backward to put my other leg underneath me. As soon as I moved a big cow RIGHT next to me outside thebarn entrancelet out a loud disgruntled moo and stamped the ground, and stared at me. Having forgotten about them, focusing on the hillside outside of themakeshift window,this scared the Holy Bajesus out of me! I fell back, my head and rifle hitting the machinery behind me. Now I had a pissed off cow five feet away, a bump on my head, and that little episode probably scared all the deer away!
Old 11-20-2008, 08:06 PM

Anyone ever get the feeling when your walking out to your car in the parking lot and something is watching you? I've had that happen to me many of times, and some of the time I go to a dead run for my car.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to let the yotes make me a bit nervous, especially when you hear a pack of them at night as your walking out.. But they are still there if you hear them or not..

Then I started thinking about how dang hard it is to shoot one while hunting them. If you make the slightest movement they are gone with the wind. Very skiddish and have never done anything but run from me.. In IL we don't have bears and not really any cougars (though there have been a few seen) so really there isn't much that is going to "get you"... cept yerself!
Old 11-20-2008, 08:28 PM

Coyotes honestly don't bother me in the slightest. As you said, they're insanely skiddish, and far more scared of you than you are them.

Quick Reply: Ever be tip toe'ing in the woods...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.