HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Black Panther seen while deer hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/274560-black-panther-seen-while-deer-hunting.html)

gypsybill 11-20-2008 09:23 AM

Black Panther seen while deer hunting

A friend of mine says that his brother was deer hunting in south Texas and saw what he described as a "black panther". He said it was a cougar/jaguar type creature that was all black. He said he got a good look at it and watched it as it slowly walked away. He said there is no mistaking what he saw.

I thought there were no black panthers, at least in the United States. What do you guys know about them?

RugerM77.270 11-20-2008 09:30 AM

RE: Black Panther seen while deer hunting

There is no proof that they exsit I am doubtful but won't rule it out. Down in Texas though it was probably a Jaguar rather then panther.

mitchmtm1 11-20-2008 09:40 AM

Easily believable and cool sighting.
Black Jaguar exist and I believe that there are a few Jaguar down that way that cross the border and live in the US.

Black panthers, aka black, aka black cougars, aka black mountain lions do not exist.

teedub31 11-20-2008 09:53 AM

ORIGINAL: mitchmtm1

Easily believable and cool sighting.
Black Jaguar exist and I believe that there are a few Jaguar down that way that cross the border and live in the US.

Black panthers, aka black, aka black cougars, aka black mountain lions do not exist.
Thanks for calming my nerves. I was sure that after reading the title, PE Obama had emboldened the group to expand outside of urban centers.:):):)

UncleNorby 11-20-2008 09:58 AM

Sure they do. There is a black color phase for mountain lions/panthers, but it is rare.

jklink 11-20-2008 10:54 AM

it's not a panther. It is a mexico cat. similar to the cougar, but black. they came from mexico and are accually very prevlent in south texas with many sightings throughout the state. I live in Central Texas and have never personally seen one, but have heard of several people who have over the years. My grandmother told us that when she was younger, she was walking out to her garden and saw one. This was at least 50 years ago. Most people do describe them as panthers, but they are not as large. If your ever out camping and hear a very loud almost woman screaming type of yell, you have a good speciman of a mexico cat within a 1/2 mile of you. userally they hang out in the river bottoms.

M.Magis 11-20-2008 11:03 AM

Sure they do. There is a black color phase for mountain lions/panthers, but it is rare.
No such animal has EVER existed.

jrbsr 11-20-2008 11:14 AM

ORIGINAL: gypsybill

A friend of mine says that his brother was deer hunting in south Texas and saw what he described as a "black panther". He said it was a cougar/jaguar type creature that was all black. He said he got a good look at it and watched it as it slowly walked away. He said there is no mistaking what he saw.

I thought there were no black panthers, at least in the United States. What do you guys know about them?
Take a camera with a zoom next time, and get a picture of it.

teedub31 11-20-2008 11:26 AM

Your friends brother had best be on his guard and always leave the house packing some serious heat. And this is a warning to all hunters and non hunters alike in the Tex/Mex regions of the US. That ain't no cat or coyote.

What you friends brother is dealing with is a real life
CHUPACABRA!!!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chupacabra

You should all be afraid!! VERY AFRAID!!!!!

salukipv1 11-20-2008 11:40 AM

alot of game farms etc....in texas, very possible to be an escaped black jaguar....

from what I've read about jaguars in the wild....mexico doesn't have black ones....those came from either more central or south america...i think more specificially just one small area/country.

Though on discovery they have said if there were a samll breeding population it could be possible to have unsually markings/colorations etc...a picture would be awesome, stuff like that is always fun to hear about...

would be cool to have a population of jaguars in the US, i know some come into New Mexico/Arizona....course like the wolves, sure people would rather them not be here....but who knows? maybe in 50yrs?