Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

1911 for Deer

Old 11-21-2008, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 1911 for Deer

Pointy stick would work better! It doesn't jam either!

Sorry, I couldn't help it. 45acp is slighty better than throwing rocks, and not good as a 22lr rifle. 41mag and up is what you need if your going handgun hunting. If you have to do it with a semi get a 10mm. I've learned this the hard way with more gun than a 45. The 357 isn't enough to do it IMHO. I lost two deer(my only two lost)by lack of a good bleeding exit wound, or my lack of tracking skills. If I had used more gun the deer would have been recovered by me rather than buzzards. A 44mag does it way better.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

I gotta disagree with y'all who thinka .45 ACP isn't sufficient for a deer. Here's my rationale: it's sufficient for a 200lb. man, why wouldn't it be for a 200lb. deer? (and that's a decent-sizeddeer, even here in Ohio).

Range is a whole other issue. The first question, before you even think about shooting at the deer, is this: at what range can you consistently hit the boiler room? I was telling a war story once about hunting with a .357. 'The deer was at 30 yards.' My buddy said 'that's within handgun range.' My response was 'not for me, it ain't.'

To put the two criteria together, I suspect that the .45 will do the job at any range at which you can consistently put the slug where it needs to go.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:59 PM

I'd say with the right load that would be just fine, maybe some buffalo bore or something. I carry a .40 Glockas a sidearm to my 6.8 AR-15 hunting and should a deer come by under 20 yards I wouldn't hesitate.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:39 PM
Spike

Pg. 8 of the 2008-09 Hunting Regulations:

Allowable Hunting Equipment

Gun Season and Youth Deer Gun Season: 10 gauge or smaller shotgun using one ball or
one rifled slug per barrel (rifled shotgun barrels are permitted when using shotgun slug ammunition); or muzzleloading rifle .38 caliber or larger; or handgun with 5-in. minimum length barrel, using straight-walled cartridges .357 caliber or larger, or longbow, crossbow (draw weight limitations same as for Archery Season). Shotguns cannot be capable of holding more than three shells.
Please note the bold, colored text above. The .45 ACP is NOT a straight walled pistol cartridge. Wouldn't want you to get yourself in alot of trouble and loose a firearm because of a mis-understanding on your part.

ORIGINAL: newguy23

ORIGINAL: peeker

.45 ACP for deer? Wow! Can't see even considering it personally. That's before I even get to the legality here in Ohio. Ohio requires straight walled pistol cartridges .357 or larger in addition to the minimum 5" barrel length. That rules the ACP out.
Actually a 1911 is legal in ohio .45 is greater than .357 and all mil spec 1911's have a 5-inch barrel.

Having said that, I don't think they are a good choice.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Typical Buck

The .45 ACP is NOT a straight walled pistol cartridge. Wouldn't want you to get yourself in alot of trouble and loose a firearm because of a mis-understanding on your part.
The 45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) IS a straight-walled pistol cartridge. Matter-of-fact it is a "rim-less" cartridge, the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

A straight-walled pistol cartridge refers to the fact that there is no necking (down) to a smaller caliber bullet, such as most rifle cartridges. The intent of the rule is to rule out the use of single-shot pistols which can shoot rifle cartridges, such as the TC Contender chambered in a .308.

So by definition (ethics regardless) anything with a straight-walled cartridge, larger in diameter than or equal in diameter to .357 inches is perfectly legal. This makes something like a 9mm, .40 S&W, and a .45 ACP legal.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:47 AM

ORIGINAL: newguy23

The .45 ACP is NOT a straight walled pistol cartridge. Wouldn't want you to get yourself in alot of trouble and loose a firearm because of a mis-understanding on your part.
The 45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) IS a straight-walled pistol cartridge. Matter-of-fact it is a "rim-less" cartridge, the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

A straight-walled pistol cartridge refers to the fact that there is no necking (down) to a smaller caliber bullet, such as most rifle cartridges. The intent of the rule is to rule out the use of single-shot pistols which can shoot rifle cartridges, such as the TC Contender chambered in a .308.

So by definition (ethics regardless) anything with a straight-walled cartridge, larger in diameter than or equal in diameter to .357 inches is perfectly legal. This makes something like a 9mm, .40 S&W, and a .45 ACP legal.

I'd have to agree with newguy23's interpretation of the rule and say that all of the above cartridges are "legal" but that doesn't make them ethical in my opinion
Old 11-23-2008, 01:13 PM

I would have to say I am an advocate of hunting with a pistol. I carry a Taurus Tracker .357 mag on my side, in addition to my CVA optima elite .270. I killed a 6 point last weekend with my pistol at 30 yards. I had a perfect broadside shot and dropped him. I did the same thing with a doe last year.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nksmfamjp

Who has shot a deer with a 1911? If so, how far? What was bullet performance like?

Haha.... I get to tell one of my more memorable stories...

Back when I lived in SC and worked in the gunshop there. I carried a Kimber Ultra CDP everyday on the job. It was a deterrant more than anything else, and I sold a lot of them just because its what I carried myself... as if I knew what I was doing!

Just about everyday, I'd work through lunch, take off an hour early and beat feat to the farm down the road about 15 minutes. Change at the parking area (a logging/skidder pad) and then jump in the stand for a few hours. Great way to end the day.

One day after work, I pulled into the farm and brother I had to take me a crap. I went off into some high grass to a tree that looked like it would be leaning at the proper angle. I was just about to the tree when I heard something in front of me. I figured it was a deer, and I broke out the Kimber as if I'd even see the thing anyway, and as if I could actually do something other than scare it worse (I'm a rotten pistol shot... but I can throw one pretty hard).

About then a BIG doe (in SC thats over 100#s) bounds right up in front of me and stops not probably 15 feet in front of me. Stupified, I didn't really take careful aim, but kinda pointed at her upper torso and let fly with a 240gr Gold Dot+P and she dropped like she'd been touched by death... I shot her right slam in the head.... probably the luckiest shot in my personal history of hunting.

Bullet performance was .... well.... terminal..... And so was the effect on my hearing... I'll never EVER do that again.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

And for those of you who question the lethality of a pistol round on a deer... I also killed a doe out on that same farm with one of the bosses FN PS-90s chambered for the 5.7x28. Hate the sights on that thing... and again..... LOUD. But keep in mind... I'm mostly a bow hunter... getting close ain't a problem, and for shooting deer standing still at under 20 yards... it works just fine.

I was going to get a high point carbine in .40 S&W for the singluar comical effect of killing a deer with one (we had a side bet going), but I didn't want to come off over $150 to prove I could do it... but I'm sure it can and will get it done. Oh for the good old free fire doe days again!
Old 11-27-2008, 07:24 PM

my grandfather carried a 1911 in his truck for killing coyotes and deer while working his farm, now he was shooting them as a nuisance to crops and cattel so i dont think he cared if he hurt or dropped them but i know he killed both with it at up to fifty yards. so i would say your fine. aparentlly they have a trajectory like a basketball freethrow according to him.

Quick Reply: 1911 for Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.