Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

1911 for Deer

Old 11-20-2008, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 1911 for Deer

any .45 cal will kill a deer, just like a .22 will kill a deer. it all depends on distance and shot placement. Perosnally i would't use anything smaller than a .357 mag. now it's true that a .45 is a larger bullet, but it does not have the power that a .357 mag has. to be honest...if ur gunna hunt deer with a pistol get a 454, 460, or 500. Those hand guns will kill the deer no questions asked. do the animal a favor and take it out cleanly.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

Wow! What a response. No, not unloading. . .making a single fast well aimed shot on a deer which is getting ready to move. I believe that I am faster leather to well aimed shot with my 1911 than my Ruger. It just fits my hand better and the sights naturally come into alignment better for me. My Ruger is close and more powerful, but the deciding factor is the thumb safety vs. cocking the hammer on the SA. We'll see.

I'm the type of hunter who would rather not shoot than make a bad shot.That has caused me to hold off before and I would again. I have plenty of experience saying no to shooting because of the angle,distance, animal movement, rest, etc.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd bet dollars to donuts that no one here could hit a running deer at 30 yards with a 1911 without it being considered extreme luck. There, I said it!

I'll go one step further, I'd bet that half the people here couldn't hit a deer that was standing still at 50 yards offhand with a 1911.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nksmfamjp

Wow! What a response. No, not unloading. . .making a single fast well aimed shot on a deer which is getting ready to move. I believe that I am faster leather to well aimed shot with my 1911 than my Ruger. It just fits my hand better and the sights naturally come into alignment better for me. My Ruger is close and more powerful, but the deciding factor is the thumb safety vs. cocking the hammer on the SA. We'll see.

I'm the type of hunter who would rather not shoot than make a bad shot.That has caused me to hold off before and I would again. I have plenty of experience saying no to shooting because of the angle,distance, animal movement, rest, etc.
Thats a good way to be. That being said I have thought of geting a 44 mag and trying for deer. It would be a fun way to do it

Old 11-20-2008, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

Here in Iowa, a 1911 in .45 is perfectly legal during gun season. I got one recently for the purpose of carrying while on drive. Going up and down ravines, etc. toting a shotgun can be a pain. So, I got a 1911 (which I wanted anyway), and luckily at at show I was at, won a drawing for a real nice Safariland military thigh holster. My plan is to carry it while on drive as I have previously many times come up on deer not 10 yards away, just standing there looking at me that I've had to do jumping jacks to get to move. That said, I haven't yet had the opportunity to try my crazy experiment yet. But, a .45 with a Hydra-shock on a deer at 10-20 yds is putting it down.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:59 PM
Spike

.45 ACP for deer? Wow! Can't see even considering it personally. That's before I even get to the legality here in Ohio. Ohio requires straight walled pistol cartridges .357 or larger in addition to the minimum 5" barrel length. That rules the ACP out.

Now what I wish Ohio would do is make it legal to use rifles chambered in those same LEGAL straight walled pistol cartridges. Can you say Marlin lever .44? Now that would be awesome! Anyway... back on topic, sorry.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Simp

I'd bet dollars to donuts that no one here could hit a running deer at 30 yards with a 1911 without it being considered extreme luck. There, I said it!

I'll go one step further, I'd bet that half the people here couldn't hit a deer that was standing still at 50 yards offhand with a 1911.
I cannot do either reliably with a 1911. I think I could have got the one which stood up 5 yards away last year, turned broadside and bounded off. With the Ruger, I drew, pulled the hammer back and decided not to shoot as the deer was moving at that point.

Maybe I'm a yahoo, but with a Ruger SA, I'm looking at 3 - 5 secs to draw, aim and fire. With my 1911, I think I can do this under 2 sec in the field reliably.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: peeker

.45 ACP for deer? Wow! Can't see even considering it personally. That's before I even get to the legality here in Ohio. Ohio requires straight walled pistol cartridges .357 or larger in addition to the minimum 5" barrel length. That rules the ACP out.
Actually a 1911 is legal in ohio .45 is greater than .357 and all mil spec 1911's have a 5-inch barrel.

Having said that, I don't think they are a good choice.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im going to have to disagree with you on part of your response. Its not necessary to use a 454,460, or 500. Especially the 500. I have shot the 500, 460 and 454 and the 454 is the max anyone would need to go. the minimum being 357. The better all around choice would be a .44 mag. Ive seen so many deer taken with a 44 and dropped on the spot its not funny. The 460 and 500 are just too much to carry. I shot the 500 once and will never shoot it again, I love shooting the 460 and 454.

ORIGINAL: MISwampDog

any .45 cal will kill a deer, just like a .22 will kill a deer. it all depends on distance and shot placement. Perosnally i would't use anything smaller than a .357 mag. now it's true that a .45 is a larger bullet, but it does not have the power that a .357 mag has. to be honest...if ur gunna hunt deer with a pistol get a 454, 460, or 500. Those hand guns will kill the deer no questions asked. do the animal a favor and take it out cleanly.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:52 AM
Spike

work on ur draw and sight picture. it should not take no more the two second to draw and fire. if it takes longer get a different holster. using a pistol well is all about sight picture and muslce memory.

Quick Reply: 1911 for Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.