Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunt the new clearing?

Old 11-18-2008, 08:10 PM

Default Hunt the new clearing?

So my Grandpa sold a part of his land for a natural gas pipeline to run through. The crew came out about 2 weeks ago to clear about an 80 yd. wide road right through the middle of the property. So my question is, now that the crew is outta there, do i find a spot to hunt that clearing? Are deer gonna be using that part of the property as a highway still? Thanks fellas
Old 11-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunt the new clearing?

hunt in my experience in northern Wi the deer seem to like the clearings
Old 11-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

I would. If deer were there before, they will be there now
Old 11-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

Hunt the clearing in the most secluded, thickest of thickets, especially if the pipeline goes through the middle of one.

Use a tree stand to get elevated, if you can, but hunt the pipe line!
Keep your eyes on the edges ...
Old 11-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Based on my experience the deer will avoid the new clearing during daylight hours. The security the deer required before, no longer exists. They should still use that area but not open areas after the clearing. I would take Poppa's advice and hunt the edges. Deer love moving through the edges all the time, especially now that the clearing has been completed.

You should also see more deer activity next year as new growth begins to appear in the new cuttings. I hunt cuttings all the time and the following year or two, with new plant growth, deer are attracted like a magnet. I also remind myself that the deer were using that area for a reason and they should continue to do so but with security always playing an important part of their movement.

Try to find old/new trails in that area that offer cover and hunt nearby. I would suspect it should be close to the open clearing yet far enough back to allow cover and security.

Good Luck!

Old 11-19-2008, 01:45 PM

thanks everyone...i really wish they would have gotten to start clearing earlier in the year...i hunt some pretty heavy, thick woods and it would have been a perfect opportunity to get a plot put ou
Old 11-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

I would hunt the edge of it. The deer will still need to cross. At the edge they will pause for a second and give you a chance to look them over and get a shot off. Just what I would do.
-Jake
Old 11-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Fork Horn

I have powerlines running through my property and the deer use the tree line as a super highway. they stay behind the tree line for cover and only cross to the other side in 2 particular areas.....and as mentioned above, they always pause before crossing to the other side.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would definately give it a try.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:23 PM

Hunt the clearings, they are great. We just got paid by a paper company to clear cut about 20 acres and it is dynamite now. The deer will love that freshly ground up dirt, and from my experience, deer are definitely curious about machinery. They will come check it out once it's done.