Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Did I do the right thing?

Old 11-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default Did I do the right thing?

Well guys, opening weekend has come and gone and didn't fire a shot even though I saw the same eight point (probably a 130 class eight point) on both days. On saturday, it was cold and rainy and I'd been sitting in my stand for about four hours when I looked over and sawthe deer body running along. I pulled my gun up and before I could get the dot on him, he was gone. I wasn't too upset because I'd only seen him from the side and I didn't think he was as big as he was. I went home and got a good nights sleep and was back in my stand around 6a.m. and sunrise was at 7:15am. Now I should mention that it was 32 degrees on sunday with 10-25 mile an hour wind (Translation, its cold as h3ll). I was great up til about 830 and then the cold started kickin in. By 1030am I was visibly shaking around 11 am I see him. He's going toward a bedding area about 70 yards from my stand. So I start gruntin as loud as possible hopin that he'll come in. Suddenly he turns and starts headin in. The entire time he's in deep cover and the only shot I could get was about mid neck up at 60 yards.The wind just suddenly kicks up and my tree is even swingin around. Kept the dot on him. I wanted him to get within45-50 yards. I'm shootin a 12 ga. and gettin good groupswith it.At about fiftyyards he gets spookedand runs off. So since I've been goin over it and over it in my head. I just didn'tfeel good with the shot. Did I do the right thing by passing?
your thoughts
Old 11-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Did I do the right thing?

Absolutely you did the right thing. My opinion and it's only that, is that if you aren't 100 percent comfortable and know you can kill the deer with the shot, then don't take it. You did the right thing.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. You definately did the right thing!
Old 11-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Fork Horn

Your going to regret it. You will never see anything bigger than a spike in the future. Your hunting life is ruined.

I'm joking of course, you can never go wrong by not shooting if you are unsure.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

You did the right thing.
Theres nothing worse than taking a shot you are not sure of.
If you had taken the shot, and the buck ran off injured.
Only to die a slow painfull death.
You would have felt a lot worse.

I have done the same thing before.

So my hats off to you.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

You did the right thing. Your a hunter. Sometimes you just have to let them pass.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

You did the right thing, you listened to your heart! Had you taken a shot that you did not feel right about, and wounded him, you'd feel a lot worse!
Old 11-18-2008, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

yeah you did the right thing.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

You did the right thing. You should only make shots you feel comfortable with. The last thing you want is to wound the deer.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

Got your back on this one. Good judgement!

Quick Reply: Did I do the right thing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.