Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Think the Rut will still be on in Wisconsin for the opener? >

Think the Rut will still be on in Wisconsin for the opener?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Think the Rut will still be on in Wisconsin for the opener?

Old 11-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default Think the Rut will still be on in Wisconsin for the opener?

Curious what others think about the opener this Saturday if the chase will still be on?

I happen to think it will bestill goingdue to thewarm weather stretch we had about 10 days ago that hopefully delayed the rut a little.

Thoughts?
Old 11-18-2008, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Think the Rut will still be on in Wisconsin for the opener?

I've never been a believer of the theory that the rut only lasts a few short weeks. Here in GA I see the first bucks start chasing in early November and I've even killed one chasing a doe on January 3rd. The bucks don't have a calendar that tells them when to start and stop. Just my opinion from experience.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it will. I was out wandering around the area I was hunting in, and there were fresh scrapes and rubs, and one still had deer pee in it.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Fork Horn

god i hope so, heading up around rice lake this friday for opener saturday.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

for sure peek was some whare around the 17th so it should still be going strong
Old 11-18-2008, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ohio has a youth gun season this weekend. I know they will be chasing as I have not seen them chasing much yet.

However, Last years buck was killed the monday after thanksgiving. Big mature ten point running does. Then on December 31 my daughter had a chance at a shot (lcouldn't get the safety off)at a nice 100" 8 point trailing two does.

The rut (at least last year) lasts a while, at least here it does. I think it all depends on the does. My neighbor says he hasn't been seeing the bucks like he has in the past but then decided to write down when all the bucks were killed on his and my property. Late November and early December was the time the big boys got taken.

I'm hopefull for my daughter for this weekend. I plan on getting her in the tree as much as wee can.

Jason
Old 11-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Spike

Man i hope so! I will be out there !

god i hope so, heading up around rice lake this friday for opener saturday.

Really? wereabouts in rice lake?
Old 11-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Spike

I hope so too. However, this past Sunday I was walking to a new stand that was just put up on the property I will be hunting this opener and I kicked up a big 10 pt. bedding with a doe. Later in the hunt about 4:30 another nice 8 pt. arose from bed about 80 yds behind my stand with another doe. I cant pretend to know too much about the rut, but Im sorry to say I think the rut is about over.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Fork Horn

From what Ive seen bow hunting in the middle part of the state. The chase phase has been in full swing for about two weeks now, maybe more like three. I was seeing nothing but bucks come through our land. It very well should still be going on, but maybe just not at peak. Lets hope its still going cause I still need more venison.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well im sure in the heck hoping so because bow season was darn near a bust for me. I havent stepped one foot in the woods this week at all so things shoudl have settled down. Im taking some corn out to a couple stands today and will see if I can find some fresh new sign. Other than that, Im thinking we are in for a late rut.

Quick Reply: Think the Rut will still be on in Wisconsin for the opener?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.