Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how grow bigger bucks

Old 11-18-2008, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default how grow bigger bucks

I was wondering how can you grow bigger bucks? It seems there are areas of the country that grow bigger deer. Is there less hunting pressure in these areas? What they eat in that area makes them bigger? Here in Indiana I know cant bewhat they eat. States east west north south. Seem to have nicer bucks.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how grow bigger bucks

Let them walk. Look at PA this year they are producing some nice bucks because the younger ones have made it through. They put a law into place restricting what you can shoot. so the younger bucks have got to get a few more years on them.

Here in Ohio we can only take one buck. So it forces people to wait for something better.

Indiana has some nice bucks too. But in your area I'd bet, if your not seeing bigger ones, they are being shot when they are to young. You got to let the younger ones get older or there will be no big ones.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:58 AM
Typical Buck

I concur with Jason. Let'em walk. I spent my younger years shooting the 1st buck I saw. Inevitably it was always a 1.5 yr old basket rack. As me and my brothers aged, we have passed on those. Plus the Indiana One Buck Rule (I too live in Indiana) has helped keep smaller bucks alive during archery season. As a result we are seeing nice deer on a regular basis. The last 3 bucks taken by me and my brother all scored 125 or better. Our neighbors have also taken their share of 120+ deer in the last 5 years.

I attended a seminar by Mark Drury and he said ALL bucks would be able to score 120 if only they were allowed to get to that magic 3.5 yr window. Now the bigger brusiers need good food, genetics and luck to make it to 4.5 and 5.5 and score in BC class.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

No doubt letting them grow is by far the biggest help. Indiana is probably like my home state of Illinois. It is a row crop state. Corn, beans, wheat, clover, and alfalfa should be everywhere. Throw in the mast crop and orchards and they have plenty of food. I believe any buck allowed to grow in these areas will get bigger until he begins to go down hill. I have video of a huge seven point buck that would go on any wall. He had two points on one side, three on the other, and two brow tines. I am sure he wasn't very impressive until he got into his prime, but once he did....wow.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Let 'em go, watch 'em grow.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:54 AM

1. Let the small ones walk
2. Kill many large does-becareful not to kill button bucks though
3. Plant food plots-some for hunting and some specifically for nutrition
4. Get neighboring land to follow steps 1-3

thats about it
Old 11-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

You got to let them grow. I pass up tons of smalls bucks every year, and i pass up a ton of medium size bucks too. Over the years the more i have done that the more big ones i have seen. I let them grow, and itwasnt too long before i started seeing better bucks on the regular.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have passed up many bucks that didnt want to shoot. I just shot a 10 pointer the other day. I figured he had to be 2.5-3. I talked with the guy thats going to mount it he said only 1.5.